Kegging Unfiltered Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fromhereon

Reaction score
I have not been able to find any information as to weather or not kegging unfiltered beer would cause me any problems or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My main concern is, won't the keg suck the beer of the bottom where the yeast has settled. If so is there any way around this.

Thanks,
Dan

I haven't ever filtered a beer and I keg.

The yeast will settle to the bottom, just like in a bottle. Then, the first pour may have some yeast sediment in it, but as long as you don't move the keg around the rest of the pours are clear. The yeast sediment compacts down to a little layer on the bottom, with a "clean" space around the diptube.

Some people have shortened their diptubes to avoid sucking up any sediment, but I never found it necessary.

I keg and do not filter with no problems - had a really cloudy hop particled orange pale that had no problem in keg.

I know someone who filters his beer but I don't know what size filter he uses. Regardless, it doesn't make for a totally clean beer in his case.

Whirlfloc - gelatin - cold crashing and the beer is crystal clear. I use gelatin in about 70% of my beers the rest just Whirlfloc at boil and a cold crash for 2-3 days prior to kegging. I may get a little sediment the first pint but clear from then on.

Irish red without gelatin

cheers.jpg

And an amber ale

ale.JPG

no filtering

Yeah, since starting whirfloc and cold crashing, my beer is crystal clear. When I pour a pint, I have hold it up to the light and smile now.

Wheats, you just let the yeastie goodness into the keg.

:rockin:

THAT is a pretty beer! Wish I could get a head to hold like that.
ale.JPG

I filter a batch occasionally, but not all that often. Most of the time, it's straight to the keg.

Here is a picture of my first pint of kegged beer I've ever poured (all of half an hour ago). This was taken immediately after I did burst carbing, so I imagine it will clear up a bit as everything settles down.

100_1774.jpg

Another vote for not filtering beer and having zero related issues with kegging. Are you using an auto siphon?

Eric

Yeah, since starting whirfloc and cold crashing, my beer is crystal clear. When I pour a pint, I have hold it up to the light and smile now.

Wheats, you just let the yeastie goodness into the keg.

:rockin:

THAT is a pretty beer! Wish I could get a head to hold like that.

I use flaked barley in small amounts . It helps with the retention also try some wheat that helps too.

Latest posts

Back