Crystal 120 and Carafa Special help in a stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strngcheez

Reaction score
Hey all! So I'm sitting here trying to figure out what to brew next and I get the hankerin' for some stout. Granted I'm drinkin a Hog Heaven so barley wine was a close second. It's been awhile since I've brewed a stout (and tweaking the recipe I have) so I have a couple of questions. I was wondering, would 1.75 lbs of Crystal 120 be a bit much (for a 10 gallon batch) and provide too much of a caramel flavor/sweetness and reduce the roasted flavor of the other darker malts? And could an addition of dehusked Carafa Special counterbalance that rich flavor, if used in the right amount, and let the roasted flavors from the barley and chocolate come through?

Here's my initial thought.

17# 2-row
1.75# Crystal 120L
1.50# Roasted Barley
1.50# Chocolate Malt
1.25# Carafa II

60 1oz Centennial 9.9% (pellet)
60 .5oz Willamette (Homegrown)
20 1oz Northern Brewer 8.0% (pellet)
10 1oz Willamette (Homegrown)

Any comments would be great.

Yes, 1.75# of 120L would be too much IMO. First off I suggest you think in percentages rather than pounds when devising recipes. With that in mind you only have 74% base malt fermentables here and that is not enough. With 26% flavoring and coloring malts with very low fermentables the beer will wind up being "flabby" with a high FG and too much going on from all those specialty malts. 120L is powerful stuff and should be used with care. Rather than conventional sweetness it to me adds more of a less sweet flavor of very dark toffee and it takes a long time to mellow if there is too much. I would keep the crystal addition to well under 10%. You also have close to 20% dark, roasted malts. Way too much IMO. About half that amount will still get you a dark stout. This stout will have a lower FG and thus more alcohol, a little sweetness from the medium crystal, some complexity from the 120L, understated roastiness with 5% RB with the chocolate providing both mellowness and color. :mug:

My suggestions for a revised recipe: % are approx
19# pale malt (83%)
1# medium crystal (4%)
.5# crystal 120L (2%)
1# roasted barley (4%)
1.25# chocolate (5%)
.25# Carafa II (1%)

Holy cow, at first I thought this was for a 5-gallon batch! I damn near fell out of my chair.

Like Ed said, 1.75 lb might be a bit much, but I'm thinking that .5 for ten gallons would be a bit light, at least for my taste. I'd try .75 lb, maybe a full pound if you really dig 120.

Back