Stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MG1602

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a stuck fermentation and want to throw it onto an existing yeast cake I am about to rack from. Do I aerate my stuck ferm. or just siphon and let er' rip?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

From what I read in the book Yeast - the best way to unstick a stuck fermentation is to pitch a starter at high krausen (bubbles/yeast on top). So maybe wash your yeast then make a starter and try that? Good luck.

I just read a lot about doing this technique with good results, but no mention of aeration.
Maybe there is my answer?

I would want to add more oxygen to my beer at that point. You sure it's stuck? What was your OG and current gravity?

It is stuck. Initially fermented at 72, but quickly died couple days later. Rose temperature to 75 with some rousing, but has not budged. 12 days later, it sits at 1.025.
Inadequate oxygen most likely is the culprit. Moving on up to forced oxygen supply.

Rack on to cake. Don't aerate. Aeration is for yeast reproduction; you are already racking onto a full colony of yeast. Maybe splash it a little while racking, but no more. ....... the yeast will clean up a little.

Latest posts

Back