Questions about inline thermometer and pinch valve for plate chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slt140

Reaction score
I recently bought a blichmann Thermonator Plate Chiller for my gravity feed keggle. The instructions recommend a "pinch valve" after the chiller to control wort flow through the chiller as a way to control wort temperature. My question is where do I get one that is designed for this use (I am thinking food-safe and not needing a bunch of adapters)? I also bought one of their in-line thermometers. I havent used it yet but am already dissapointed. It just has a sticky type thermometer on the outside and warns about overheating it (+/-140F). They say it wont come back if you do, but I dont see how it is possible to avoid it for a few seconds until I get the flow rate of cooling water and wort right. Is there a better inline thermometer that I should be using? I am excited to try my new rig, but I cant stop stressing about these last few issues. What do you folks use?

I pump through mine. I just use the ball valve on the kettle to control flow if necessary. Usually its wide open and I adjust temp with the water flow. I just stick a thermometer in the wort stream going into the fermentor.

If you have a good flow of water first then start the wort slowly, I dont think you will overheat the thermometer.

I thought about doing it that way, but the instructions (who needs instructions) say to place the valve after the chiller because reducing the wort flow through the chiller may cause air bubbles/priming issues. but if you use it wide open and just control the water flow rate I guess that solves that problem.

Thanks Wildwest, I like it. I might even have one of those floating around in the brew closet.

Latest posts

Back