Dampfbier from extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unionrdr

Homebrewer, author & air gun collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was reading on germanbeerinstitute.com this morning,& read up on a beer called "Dampfbier" (pronounced dumm-pff-beer)-German steam beer. It's been made for centuries in SE Bavaria. It's an all barley ale,deep golden to light amber color,with one unique feature-it's brewed with weissbier yeast! At temps above 70F no less,that give it a slight phenolic,bubble gum quality. It's medium bodied,very mildly hopped,& low carbonation.
Since my 1st pale ale with the Cooper's O.S. lager kit came out close so far as color,carbonation,& malt forwardness is concerned,I'm thinking of trying to derive yet another style from it.
Here's my recipe from my initial research;
1) 1.7kg can Cooper's O.S. lager kit
1kg Cooper's brewing sugar (20% maltodextrine)
1oz German Traditional hops @15mins
1) 4.25oz Wyeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat activator pack
Smack activator pack & set aside in warm place. Add 2G tap water to brew kettle,bring to boil for a few mins to evaporate chemicals. Put the 1oz of German Traditional hop pellets in hop sack,add to boil,set timer for 15 mins. At the end of that time,take kettle off heat,remove/drain hop sack,& set aside. Add brewing sugar,stir well till it dissolves. Then open the Cooper's can,putting the factory yeast sachet in the fridge for another time. Add can contents,rinsing can to get it all out to brew kettle,stiring thoroughly to incorporate. Place lid on kettle & allow to steep for 15 mins or so while sanitizing fermenter,etc.
Put BK in sink of cold water,let cool till water warms up. Drain water in sink,then add ice water to sink,putting BK back in with the lid still on. Bring down to 70F or so. Then put fermenter in it's final resting place (sucker gets heavy when full!),Then add contents of brew kettle,pouring from as high up as possible to aerate the wort. Top off to 21L (Cooper's are usually 23L) with natural spring water. Stir or shake to aerate wort really good. Then open activator pack & pour it in,stiring lightly to incorporate. Put lid in place with a blow off. I figured with an average gravity brew & a smack pack,I'd try going without a starter on this one. I'd like some overall opinions as to what y'all think of this?...(besides coopersmack)

Bump!

I just discovered this style and it sounds interesting to try. Need to find a decent recipe though. It should be a good one to brew in the summer when temps are harder to control.

How did your recipe turn out in the end?

I never got around to brewing it. Got no answers here as to how good it'd be. But I'm still thinking of giving it a try. Might be like a German gumball head or other? Being into pb/pm biab now,a good & different quicky might be nice. Can't play around with it in BS2 till I finish getting comp back to normal after removing all the hijackthis BS. Many files MIA atm. But no worries about passing on infecion to this forum. I killed it with vipre security scanner.
Anyway,I'll have to try brewing this one with the Wyeast Bavarian wheat blend yeast I've got washed in the fridge.

From what I've read, it's more-or-less an Oktoberfest with Hefe yeast.

I'll be brewing one for my next beer. It's an AG recipe. Right now my recipe is sitting at:
8lbs Pilsen
2lbs Munich 10L
8oz Carapils

I may darken it up from 4.6L to about 6L because it is supposed to be a deep golden to light amber beer.

I was also going to use Wyeast 3638, underpitch by 25% and ferment at 65F.

For hops, I thought about the history of the beer. It's from a poor industrial and mining area. They had to save all their wheat for making bread. They couldn't afford to travel far enough to get a barley beer yeast strain. Would they be using the finest noble hops? No, they used local hops. Which probably means wild hops.

So I decided to use something with a rough and resiny character to it. And since I don't want to buy a whole pound of Comet for one beer, I settled on Columbus for a 60 minute boil and about 15 IBUs.

I'll have to wait till I get my system back to normal in order to use BS2 after this hijackthis BS that ruined everything. The recipe will be tweaked for AE at that time. It's an old one of mine,so I'll try to update it to style per BS2 recommendations. Not to mention,any suggestions here. I think it's definitely worth a try. I've been thinking of getting into German malts further anyway. :mug:

Here's what I've come up with so far for a Dampfbier recipe:

Dampfbier - Extract version
Vienna Lager (3 A)

Type: Extract
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.67 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 3.38 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 4.60 gal
Fermentation: Ale
Date: 05 Mar 2014
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Equipment: Pot ( 4 Gal/15.1 L) - Extract
Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Taste Rating: 30.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2 lbs Munich Malt (10.0 SRM) Grain 1 22.2 %
16.0 oz Caramunich Malt (37.0 SRM) Grain 2 11.1 %
6 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 3 66.7 %
1.50 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 15.3 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 5 -
0.50 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) [124.21 ml] Yeast 7 -

Est Original Gravity: 1.051 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 %
Bitterness: 15.3 IBUs
Est Color: 9.0 SRM
Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz

I composed it primarily from reading the description of the style on this website:

http://byo.com/stories/beer-styles/item/530-dampfbier-style-profile

what do you all think? Anyone else come up with a recipe on their own yet??

Back