my first wheat beer - need some advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy_LV

Reaction score
Hello guys,
about week ago made my first wheat beer - mixed brewferm's wheat beer kit with coopers wheat malt extract can, added some flavoring tea and slightly hopped with aroma hops (Hopsteiners Hallertau Tradition and Hersbrucker), mixed to 22l of water and ended up with OG 1.043 and pitched kit yeast.

Now its been sitting in fermenter at 22C (71F) for bit more than a week, all visible signs of fermentation are completed - first burst followed by slow chewing on more complex sugars. Third day in a row I end up with SG 1.020, tastes fantastic, very little sediment on the bottom, beer is cloudy (of coss!!!).

What I'm unsure about is how to proceed further with wheat bears? Really dont want to mess this one up since its turning out to be one of tastiest beers I have brewed so far.
Should I just leave it there for another week and bottle away? Is SG/FG 1.020 what I should expect from this brew? Should I use something like "secondary fermenter" to clear it out?

thanks in advance!

Let it sit for another week and check the gravity again. Sounds like things have slowed down, but I can't imagine it's finished, especially with an OG of 1.043. My beers often sit in the primary for up to three weeks, so don't be afraid to give it a little time. Good luck! :mug:

Thanks kupish!

patience never have been my strong side... that's probably "the karmic reason" I got into brewing - to learn some :D

i usually let my wheat beers stay in the primary for 4 weeks to give the beer plenty of time to clean up the yeasties that remain. I recall that when I started brewing that it was difficult to wait the extra 2-3 weeks but I have found it to be well worth the time. I try to keep the beer in the mid 60's F range if possible for the last few weeks.

I love wheat beers. My first 3-4 beers were wheat base. I'm not sure about more than 3 weeks in primary. I dislike extract recipes now that I've been doing AG for the past 2 months.

Here's my 2 cents. Wait. Check your SG after 7 days of brewing. If it hasn't gone down to your FG, wait 5 more days. If by the it hasn't dropped, wait another 5 days. By then I would siphon (auto siphon preferably) off into a secondary and allow it to settle and finish off.

You might want to consider gently stirring it if the SG is stuck. Your temp is great.

I have to remind myself (especially today when my Guinness Clone recipe took 18 hours to kick off fermentation) that waiting is the key. Beer is good and you should not give up on it! Hey, it might even save your life somehow some day.....Not sure how or when, but it could happen! (that's a great motivational speech) :mug:

thanks guys, will wait! no rush here - still have empty buckets to start new brews :)

Back