why is my beer self carbonating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yewtah-brewha

Reaction score
I transfered beer to secondary it was 6 days into fermentation, and gravity was at 1.012. I took a 16 oz sample to try for my self, the taste was amazing for being 6 days old, and wasn't flat either, no buzz, but i figurred it needed to ferment a little longer.

Now were at 3 days in the secondary for a total of 9 days. If you look at the carboy you can see bubbles/carbonation like crazy! Ive noticed this since the transfer. Is this normal? do I want this to stop?

this is my 5th batch and havnt seen this before, OG was 1.042

The beer is not carbonated in the true sense of the term. CO2 is a byproduct of fermentation so there is some CO2 in solution but nowhere near what would be required to actually produce the carbonation required for drinking it.

This is why priming calculators ask for the temperature of the beer when calculating volumes of CO2 for priming because there is more/less CO2 in suspension dependent upon the temperature of the beer.

I transfered beer to secondary it was 6 days into fermentation, and gravity was at 1.012. I took a 16 oz sample to try for my self, the taste was amazing for being 6 days old, and wasn't flat either, no buzz, but i figurred it needed to ferment a little longer.

Now were at 3 days in the secondary for a total of 9 days. If you look at the carboy you can see bubbles/carbonation like crazy! Ive noticed this since the transfer. Is this normal? do I want this to stop?

this is my 5th batch and havnt seen this before, OG was 1.042

I would let it sit a bit longer in primary next time, if you start doing bigger beers, it won't be done fermenting before you transfer and you may not reach your FG. Even after you hit FG, it's good to let it sit for another few days, as hard as it may be to wait, it'll give better beer.

The act of transferring will also cause the CO2 to come out of solution just by being disturbed. Totally normal though, shouldn't have an issue with it.

Back