Received warm yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsncrabs

Reaction score
I just received my Oktoberfest kit from a mail order supplier. I ordered WLP830 along with a cold pack. Shipping took 3 days. When I received it, the yeast was warm. I put it in the fridge right away. Will the yeast be OK? During hotter months should you order more than 1 cold pack? Normally I could have gotten the yeast at my LHBS, but they were out of stock and didnt know when their next shipment would be.

It's hard to say if the yeast will be ok. I would definitely do a starter to see if it is, rather than just pitching it in.

I only order dry yeast during the hotter months. It's supposed to hit 99 here today. Even with a cold pack, I doubt the yeast would survive those temps on a 2-3 day truck ride.

Adding more cold packs won't keep the yeast cold. Their main benefit is acting as a bit of a heat battery, helping to mitigate sudden changes in temperature. Long periods of time in too warm an environment will hurt your cell counts and viability, but you probably still have a sizable pitch. Build a starter, and all will be forgiven.

Thanks for the replies. I had planned on doing a starter. I will have some back up in case it doesnt work.

Make a starter make a starter make a starter, honestly we can't tell you if your yeast is viable or not, a starter will. Besides a starter will grow all the viable yeast cells already there into more usable cells.

Seeing as it's a lager you probably needed to make a starter anyways. It prob wouldn't hurt to begin the process a day or two early, so if it doesn't start you can get other yeast.

Thanks for the advice. Thats why this site is good for newbies. I was planning on making a starter due to it being a lager but was worried the yeast was toast to begin with.

as everyone else said, make a starter. If you order liquid yeast in the summer, pay the extra dollar or two for multiple ice packs. It guarentees nothing, but can't hurt.

Also in summer months, I order wyeast instead of white labs. If the smack pack swells, you know you are good.

On a side note, both Mr. Steves and Lancaster homebrew get orders at the minimum once a week. Both have put special orders in for me without problems. Where were you going that they said they weren't sure when the next order was coming in? And hello to another Lancaseter homebrewer.

Yeast in general is pretty hearty these days. Give 'em some food and a friendly environment (starter) and they'll make a nice lager for ya! Good luck and post some tasting notes. :cheers:

Back