What's the cheapest method of kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been bottling for years now, but I just picked up 3 corny kegs for next to nothing. What's the cheapest way to get started with kegs? No matter where I look, it's going to cost a minimum of $150 for a gauge, tank, lines, etc. What about the CO2 cartridges I've seen? I know they are used in someway, but not sure how.

One thought I had was to carbonate my next batch with priming sugar in the keg and then use either the natural occuring pressure of the CO2 cartridges? Would this work or do I just need to wait till I can spend the $150?

- Cheap or free used fridge

- picnic tap

- natural carb with priming sugar.

- you still need something to push the beer out. the CO2 cartridge would work and are cheaper intial cost. But over time the cost will add up. CO2 tank a regulator will be more expensive up front but cheaper in the long run. look for used ones.

Go ahead and get a CO2 tank, or at least a paintball bottle. A single gauge regulator is only about $35.

You need a CO2 tank to seal the keg, anyway.

Yeah, it takes 2-3 CO2 cartriges to dispense the keg...probably 6-7 at least just to carb it up. At $1.50 per cart and $20 for the charger unit (at my LHBS anyways), that's the price of a cheap regulator.
classifieds for a CO2 tank, and a picnic tap for $15 and you're in business (if you can cool the keg)

Don't want to get off-topic for the post, but I'm pretty interested in cheap kegging as well. Assuming you have a fridge or something already to cool it, what essentially do you still need? It seems to me that it's...

- the kegs (obviously)
- CO2 regulator
- CO2 tank
- picnic tap (cheap)

Is that essentially the minimum you would need?

Don't want to get off-topic for the post, but I'm pretty interested in cheap kegging as well. Assuming you have a fridge or something already to cool it, what essentially do you still need? It seems to me that it's...

- the kegs (obviously)
- CO2 regulator
- CO2 tank
- picnic tape (cheap)

Is that essentially the minimum you would need?

Pretty much. A few miscellaneous connectors and some air tubing but that is not very expensive.

Well it sounds like the best way to go is just to break down and get a single regulator and a tank. Of course, I'll also need to get a frig/freezer and convert it, which solves my other problem of fermentation temperature regulation. On to Craigslist!!

Yeah, a cheap CL fridge and picnic taps are quick, cheap and easy.

I'm going to replace mine with a keezer someday, but it is going on two years with the simple setup now.

not really - I have been getting away with a single tank for years. You can tell when you are getting low and have plenty to time to get it filled.

I live two minutes from the paintball store, so filling my tank is not much of an issue. That being said, I have a 5lb tank and two paintball bottles.

Latest posts

Back