Vanilla Mold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireball80

Reaction score
I just brewed a Vanilla Stout and I put vanilla beans in the secondary. I just noticed that it appears there is white mold floating around the beans. Has anyone seen this before? From my knowledge mold usually stays on the surface(similar to cheese), do you think the beer is bad?

I'd say the usual RDWHAHB applies here. I guess it could be mold, but perhaps the alcohol will kill it off before it gets a hold. If so, you'll just have to siphon from underneath and drink it fast.

That is what I was thinking, so I transferred it to the keg making sure I didn't suck up any of the mold, charged it with CO2, and then in the fridge. I will let it sit for a week, hopefully anything bad would crash out to the bottom and come out in the first glass.

I believe molds usually float on top.. so it'll be your last one that is funky. I can't say for sure though.. I never had mold in a beer before. :crossing fingers, knocking on wood:

Could it be yeast?

I've had a couple batches that had some nasty looking white things floating around. I didn't worry about it, bottled as normal, and had some very tasty beer.

I am not completely sure what it was. It looked like a little white clump floating around by the vanilla bean. It was not air bubbles though, and I smelled the beer and it didn't smell infected. I have made this beer before(one of the best beers I have ever made!) and I have not had this problem before.

Back