What makes kilkenny thick and creamy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muss

Reaction score
Does anyone know the techniques and ingredients used to give kilkenny (and similar beers) that thick and creamy texture?

I'd like to make an ale with that same texture, but with more flavour and aroma then kilkenny.

Thanks.

Ahh yes so is that why Guinness and Kilkenny are poured from their own special taps.

Hmmm I wonder how I can get the same effect in my bottles.

After a bit of googling I now know what the 'widget's is for. What a amrvelous invention.
So If I were to make some thick and creamy beers in bottles I'd need a whole lot of widgets, inject some liquid nitrogen in them, stuff them in the bottles and cap them fast.
That sounds like fun, but I don't have the setup to do that and it would probably skyrocket the cost price of my HB's considerably.

:(

All this talk about thick creamy beers makes me want to get some kilkenny and guinness on the way home:mug:

Muss said:
, inject some liquid nitrogen in them, :

I have no first hand experience on the subject, but I bet liquid nitrogen would kill live yeast and probably freeze your beer!

Could be something that would add mouth feel in beers... like malto dextrin maybe.

Foreigner said:
I have no first hand experience on the subject, but I bet liquid nitrogen would kill live yeast and probably freeze your beer!
Yup, liquid nitrogen is quite cold. It's at -196°C right out of the cryo-cylinder or for us none metric Americans that about -320°F , this temp is also it's boiling point so it will begin to vaporize as soon as you open the valve. I use liquid nitrogen at work in the lab and you definitely don't want to get it on you or have an explosion since one milliliter of liquid nitrogen equals ~700 milliliters of gaseous nitrogen. That's some serious differences in volume. Based on the gas laws we could determine how much liquid nitrogen to add to reach a certain safe pressure in the beer bottle and force fill the widget with beer. I don't think you care about killing the yeast in the bottle since you're wanting the widget's expansion valve to cause the foam in the beer, right or do I not understand how a widget really works? I should just bring some liquid nitrogen home from work and give it a try..........behind an explosion shield of plexiglass and plywood just in case my math is wrong or maybe someone has already done the experiment?

I don't think you can get your hands on widgets, anyhow.
You can buy beer gas, so you'll need to switch to kegging if you want to replicate the effects of nitrogen.

The widget isn't filled with Nitrogen, it's filled with beer. When the pressure is released in the can, the pressurized beer squeezes out of the widget and creates the head. The nitrogen is in solution under pressure just like to CO2. So you just need to buy some widgets and put them in the bottle.

Kegging sounds like the way to go then to replicate the kilkenny-factor :D

this is on my list of things to do in the future. My friend wants to nitrogenate (is that the right word?) his coffee porter and believe me, it would be PERFECT for that beer, so we've been looking into this. I need to get a kegerator before i do that, though.

i believe it is a mixture of co2 and nitrogen. 60/40 if i remember right?

Why not simply extract the widget from Guinness bottles and clean them well and then put them back in a bottle. I've been able to get them out before with a little effort.

runhard said:
Why not simply extract the widget from Guinness bottles and clean them well and then put them back in a bottle. I've been able to get them out before with a little effort.

That's not a bad idea! Plus I get to drink some Guinness.
w00t!

runhard said:

Has anyone ever been able to replicate this?
Ever?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widget_%28beer%29

The can is pressurised by adding liquid nitrogen, which vaporises and expands in volume after the can is sealed, forcing gas and beer into the widget's hollow interior through a tiny hole – the less beer the better for subsequent head quality.

http://byo.com/mrwizard/906.html

Commercial brewers who use this fascinating technology require several pieces of specialized equipment. The first is a widget, or a plastic bladder-type doo-dad with several very small holes and/or check valves. Most widgets these days look like little footballs and move freely in the package, as opposed to the first model found jammed in the bottom of Guinness cans. Bottled widget beers require extra-heavy glass since the headspace has a higher pressure than carbonated beers. To start the process, an empty widget is inserted into the can. Next, they fill the bottle or can with beer and a small drop of liquid nitrogen is added immediately before it is sealed. Since liquid nitrogen has a very low boiling point, it boils in the container and creates enough pressure to partially fill the widget with beer. When the beer is opened and the headspace pressure is released, the gas in the widget rapidly expands and forces the beer in the widget through the holes or check valves and then the magic happens. Nitrogen bubbles lead to more nitrogen bubbles and, after several seconds, the beer has a head you can cut with a knife.

The key would be to get one out without activating it. Are you opening bottles in an Iron Lung?

Proof please?

olllllllllllo's right, if you can harvest them they're no good anymore. It's keg or nothing, although you can brew an excellent stout carbed with good old CO2.

I wonder how quickly the bottles are capped after the liquid nitrogen drop has been added.
I think it would be possible to get liquid nitrogen and add small drops of it in the bottles, but if you need to cap it within a few milliseconds then it will be too hard.

There may be things out there that will do the trick of widgets, eg a ping pong ball (But much smaller of course). Probably something that you see every day but don't realise it could be used for a much greater purpose:)

Ah-HA! You know how potato chip packets shrink in the oven? I wonder if ping pong balls do that. Then just puncture them with a needle a few times and you might have a home made widget.

MacGuyver would be so proud.

Maybe the nitro is encased in a small packet of frozen beer? Just guessing of course, but it may delay the boiling long enough to get the top sealed.

I've read that you can fill a syringe with air and inject that into your glass to get it all frothy. There is nitrogen in the air, correct?

I've got a meat injection syringe (never used on meat) that I use for extracting samples from my carboy. I've used it a few times to inject air into my stouts. It does seem to make a bit of a difference. I've deemed it not really worth my time to do on a regular basis though.

Back