wrong yeast ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I hope this is the right forum. Ok so I messed up big I think...... I brewed a Hoegaarden clone today 5lbs light dme 2lbs honey corriander / orange peel etc. but I wasn't paying attention as close as I should have and pitched wlp550 instead of the wlp400 I wanted to use. Does anyone have any idea as to how bad or good maybe my blunder is going to be? thanks.

It might be a little drier than you were wanting, but the flavors will be similar. It may not be as Hoegaarden-ish as it would've been with wlp400, but I bet it'll be a great beer. I'm fermenting a golden strong and a dark strong right now using a blend of 3 yeasts and wlp550 is one of them.

It might be a little drier than you were wanting, but the flavors will be similar. It may not be as Hoegaarden-ish as it would've been with wlp400, but I bet it'll be a great beer. I'm fermenting a golden strong and a dark strong right now using a blend of 3 yeasts and wlp550 is one of them.
hmmmmm that makes me wonder i have some wb-06 i prop'd also?????

I have used both for a Wit beer with the same grain mix. You really will not see much of difference, I know there will be people that will say I am wrong but I could not tell much of a difference.

I'm using wlp550 (in addition to two others) because of it's attenuation (78-85%). I prefer my Belgians to be trappisty (drier) as opposed to the american abbey (sweeter). I'm shooting for ~85% (upwards of 90 for the golden) attenuation and am doing the incremental feeding right now.

Back