Did I contaminate it...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARV9673

Reaction score
Ok, I did my first (kit) last night: William's American Red ale. Went fairly smoothly, had everything sterile and no boil overs. BUT, when the time to pitch came, I was short of boiled, sterile water. I had what I thought was 2 gallons to add to the 3 of wort I'd boiled, but I was about a gallon short overall (forgot some would go up as steam and must not have had 2 gallons in the other pot.). I had a couple gallons of unopened Spring water from the supermarket in the fridge and added one of them to bring it up to the 5 gallon mark on the fermentor bucket. I'm still going to let it sit and see what I get after the fermentation period, but I am afraid I might be waiting in vain. Next time should I
a) make sure I've got enough water
b) use the store bought water again or
c) just let it go at 4 gallons?

Probably a) but is b) or c) ok in a pinch?

I suggest you let this fully ferment and then bottle as usual then immediately mail it to me.

Bottled water will be fine to add to your primary. Tap water is done often as well. I was paranoid about top-off water and always boiled it prior to doing full-boils.

If your paranoid about some bacteria being in the water just boil an extra gallon or two. You could even sanitize a good-sized container and freeze it the day before and then add it.

Exo said:
I suggest you let this fully ferment and then bottle as usual then immediately mail it to me.
:) Just to see if it's been spoiled? Sure thing, I'll get right on that. Let me guess, you eat all the cookies in your house too, just to save the others the trouble of having work the extra calories off.

ARV9673 said:
:) Just to see if it's been spoiled? Sure thing, I'll get right on that. Let me guess, you eat all the cookies in your house too, just to save the others the trouble of having work the extra calories off.

Dont we all ? I do.:)

we use bottled water at times.. when the RO machine is broken.. so you should be fine..

and sailman..thank you for eating all the cookies.. :)

Back