Time limit on secondary???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandEBrews

Reaction score
Fellas, just wondering if one can leave a batch in secondary too long. I won't be able to bottle till monday afternoon. That will be 10 days in. Too long? Will it go bad???

TandEBrews said:
just want to get this thing in bottles.

which for the record suck, and when my space allows i will be moving to kegging..
Kegging is good, but many people bottle, and still lead relatively normal lives. :)

I agree with all the comments here already, but if I could make a recommendation to you and everyone else reading this, when you pose a question such as yours would you PLEASE tell us what type of beer it is?

Info like that helps us help you with a more precise answer.

In general, as long as your sanitation is good, your airlock stays half-filled, the temp is relatively controlled and the carboy is not in the light your beer will last for months in the carboy.

For us that do lagers, we leave our brew in carboys for 2-3 months. Your 10 days isn't much time at all. Actually, depending on the type of beer it is, 14-20 days in the secondary is probably more like it.:D

El Pistolero said:
Kegging is good, but many people bottle, and still lead relatively normal lives. :)
i don't know about that....
just the other day, as i was walking down the street, some teenaged punks pelted me with stones and yelled "Stinkin' Bottler!!!" and "Slave to the Glass!!!" at me.
their words hurt much more than the stones......

Lou said:
just the other day, as i was walking down the street, some teenaged punks pelted me with stones and yelled "Stinkin' Bottler!!!" and "Slave to the Glass!!!" at me.

That's when HB Bill breaks out the:
violent-smiley-093.gif

TandEBrews said:
Fellas, just wondering if one can leave a batch in secondary too long. I won't be able to bottle till monday afternoon. That will be 10 days in. Too long? Will it go bad???
I left a winter seasonal ale in secondary (glass, not plastic) for just about 10 weeks. I finally got it bottled, and once it primed, carbonated and got chilled it was real tasty.

I wouldn't sweat 10 days.

Lou said:

roflmao.gif

Back