The [very cool] doctor who thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Incredible story. Basically a reboot of the series now with the you-know-what hunt. Very impressive and shocking story. They even managed to keep the "anything goes" attitude of the writers down to a minimum!

I'm late to the party, but I just watched the special and I am blown away! I was so completely consumed in it they I didn't even realize how completely consumed I was until he/they had their hands on the big red button.

I saw it on Monday night, in 3D at a local movie theather with some theater friends of mine... The couple of little intro clips they worked in at the beginning were great, and the special itself was everything we could've asked for. I couldn't believe more people didn't immediately recognize the curator by his voice alone - I gasped as soon as I heard his voice, and the people to either side of me looked at me like I was nuts, then looked back at the screen and gasped just like I just had.

I definitely have to rewatch this one at home though - there were a few too many lines that got swallowed by the audience cheering... It was definitely a fun atmosphere, but I feel like I might have missed a thing or two.

I definitely have to rewatch this one at home though - there were a few too many lines that got swallowed by the audience cheering... It was definitely a fun atmosphere, but I feel like I might have missed a thing or two.

I've watched it 3 times already... still picking up stuff I missed.

That's another reason I love Doctor Who. There is so much more than what's just on the surface..

I saw it on Monday night, in 3D at a local movie theather with some theater friends of mine... The couple of little intro clips they worked in at the beginning were great, and the special itself was everything we could've asked for. I couldn't believe more people didn't immediately recognize the curator by his voice alone - I gasped as soon as I heard his voice, and the people to either side of me looked at me like I was nuts, then looked back at the screen and gasped just like I just had.

I'm more of a casual fan and wasn't prepared for the costumes, scarfs, sonic screwdrivers, etc. It was pretty cool to go to something so nerdy where it wasn't a sub-culture I'm a part of for once.

Suggestions on where to start watching the older episodes? I tried to watch from the beginning and couldn't get into it.

Suggestions on where to start watching the older episodes? I tried to watch from the beginning and couldn't get into it.

Try starting with Tom Baker.. He's how most of us Yanks got our start on Who.

Worst case, start with the reboot and Chris Eccleston.. They did a great job with the 9th Doctor and getting new fans up to speed.

motobrewer said:
f--k! i missed it, and the dvr didn't record! when/how can i see this??

It's still on iplayer on the BBC, someone posted a comment a few pages ago as to how to watch iplayer in different regions.

Try starting with Tom Baker.. He's how most of us Yanks got our start on Who.

Worst case, start with the reboot and Chris Eccleston.. They did a great job with the 9th Doctor and getting new fans up to speed.

I've watched 9th Doctor to current, so I guess I'll start with Tom Baker. Thanks!

I finally watched it last night. Maybe I wasn't paying proper attention, I was a little confused in places. By the time it was over though, I was blown away at the way they have (As mentioned above) rebooted the story. For me, it was one of those shows that has more effect in the aftershock than it does in the viewing. The way they included past doctors was just great, and very well done.

I had already read here about the voice of the curator, so I was kinda waiting for it, so I got it straight away. I dunno if I would have without the heads up though :)

My wife likes the new Dr Who shows, but has no clue of the older ones. She must be getting totally sick of me pointing out all the references and explaining them when she doesn't really care!! :eek:

Possible spoiler alert follows: BEWARE!!!

Edit: Trying hard to not give away spoilers, but is anyone other me just delighted for the Doctor to have that burden finally lifted? I know I am!! :D

I have watched some of the original shows, but some are missing and it's not clear what Netflix has and what to watch in what order.

That said, I did enjoy watching the eps I saw and the order isn't very important as long as you watch the same doctor and follow each mini series. They are more or less episodic in nature, so it's all good.

Now I'm curious to go back and watch some of the Tom Baker episodes. That was the only Doctor I ever saw before Eccelston. I didn't watch it too much back then. I was aware of the Doctor and his scarf, but had no real knowledge of who he really was.

Wow. Just watched the Christmas special episode. Not as heart wrenching as DT's regeneration but still pretty heavy.

I thought that drinking from the fountain of immortality in the special prequel to the 50th anniversary episode (when Hurt became the War Doctor) would have sorted the regeneration conundrum but apparently not.

Going to have to watch the day of the Doctor and tonight's again, back to back, to iron out all my questions.

Great stuff!

Bah.....this new Doctor has some big shoes to fill, at first sight, I can't really picture him as the Doctor....

Time of the Doctor barely started and my kids were already tearing up. I can admit, it had it's moments, and yes, Matt Smith is going to be hard to replace, but I'm looking forward to a new doctor. This one looks pretty old though... Or should I say, experienced?

Oh well, I'm happy as long as they can keep Donna away.

Bah.....this new Doctor has some big shoes to fill, at first sight, I can't really picture him as the Doctor....

That's been said about most of the new Doctors. They said it about Tennant, about Smith, and several of the original run Doctors.
I presume some of the new fangirls will lose interest, since he;s not as "cute" as Tennant or Smith, but I will give him the chance to build in.
It seems to me most of the Doctors take a season or so to really get into it, figure out how they play it, and the writers to figure things out from their ends.

I'm right in tears... wowowowowowow.

So sad that Matt is gone, so excited to see what Peter will do with the role.

AND NO MORE DOCTOR UNTIL AUGUST 2014.

so, did I miss something, or how did they explain the 14th regeneration?

Back in classic who, it was made clear that the timelord high council had the ability to grant more regenerations. Specifically, The Master was brought back and given more regenerations in The Five Doctors in exchange for his help. This was obliquely referenced in the last episode, when the Doctor said that if there were still other timelords around, there might have been a way to avoid his death.

(Spoilers)

When the Doctor was just about to die, Clara went to the crack to ask the timelords in the other universe to help him. They sent regeneration energy, apparently giving the Doctor another 13 regenerations as they did for The Master in The Five Doctors.

Finally caught the time of the Doctor. Great story. Really gonna miss Matt Smith, wish he could have had another season at least. Also I still really miss Amy. In retrospect she may have been my favorite companion. She's the best.

I don't normally post her stuff but I thought this thread might appreciate this one. My wife just burned and sold this box.

image.jpg

Epic.

Slightly OT, but we watched Gaurdians of the Galaxy this past weekend (Great movie, BTW) and Karen was supposed to be in it, but I didn't realize it until the credits were rolling. I guess she was some bald space bandit or something. I might go watch it again.

EDIT: she was one of the bad guy's "daughters".

Still haven't watched Matt's last episode...........just can't bring myself to do it but dammit the new one I'd almost here!!!!

Homer, you didn't recognize her voice? Granted, it was modulated some, but I thought it was recognizable, even if the rest of her wasn't so much.

Epic.

Slightly OT, but we watched Gaurdians of the Galaxy this past weekend (Great movie, BTW) and Karen was supposed to be in it, but I didn't realize it until the credits were rolling. I guess she was some bald space bandit or something. I might go watch it again.

EDIT: she was one of the bad guy's "daughters".

karen-gillan-guardians-villain-teaser-poster.jpg

Back