How much jalapenos in secondary??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCH

Reaction score
I've got a blonde ale fermenting and I've been contemplating splitting the batch up and putting half in a secondary with jalapenos.

I'm not wanting something that's too hot to drink, just something that has a slightly heated aftertaste.

I was planning on roasting one or two jalapenos in the oven before adding them, but I'm not sure on how many to add.

Dragon mead Brewery make a Chipotle ale, when I was there I said what the hell I'll try it. I liked it a lot it was very tasty. They key would be getting the right amount. Kegging would be easier because you could add the hot liquid slurry until the taste was just right, good luck.

Here's a 5 gallon recipe that someone (I forget who but I think someone from HBT) provided me that won gold in its category. I've never made it but it seems like it would be pretty spicy. Seems like boiling the peppers in water, straining, and adding to secondary would be a good approach. I'd go with maybe 1.5 -2 peppers if you're only going to pepper half a batch.

6.6 lbs. lme
1/2 lbs. crystal 80
1 lbs. clear candi sugar
1 oz. n brewer (60 min.)
2 oz. cascade (0 min.)
8 oz. dried sante fe chiles
dry hop in primary (7 days)
3 fresh jalopenos, chopped, boiled in 2 cups water, strain off peppers and add with priming sugar during bottling.

Let me know how it comes out. I've always wanted to try this

I added 2 whole Jalapenos, and 2 roasted Big Jim Peppers to 3 gallons of Light American Ale. I think I'd skip the roasted chili's...they lend too much "EARTHY" flavor, and not hot at all.

But I'd say that 2 whole is a good starting point for 1/2 batch.

I've got a friend that brews a blonde ale with jalapeno's and its awesome. Only problem is...he doesn't divulge his secrets.:D

Think I will try adding the boiled jalapeno liquid at bottling method. Will let everyone know how it turns out.

Back