Gf....opinions??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rflinn68

Reaction score
I just started a gluten free extract brew for a friend of mine and would like some opinions.

6lbs White Sorghum Syrup
1lb Agave Necter
1lb Dark Belgian Candi
2oz Hersbrucker Hops 2.4% AA
60 minute boil

8oz Maltodextrin
1/2oz Bitter Orange Peel
1/2oz Sweet Orange Peel
3/4oz Coriander
15 minutes

Nottingham Dry Yeast

Starting Gravity was 1064

anyone else? I made a Agave Wit and I'm experimenting with it in the gluten free stuff. My daughters boyfriend has celiacs and cant have ANY gluten

I thought you were looking for opinions on your girlfriend, but ill take a shot at the recipe instead :)

It looks alright, though my only comment is with that much candy to base syrup might come out a bit dry and light bodied. If it was me I may up that sorghum syrup a touch IMHO.

The sorghum flavor kills me. I'd split the base malt for 1/2 sorghum and 1/2 dark rice syrup if you can find it.

I've never used agave. I use a lot of honey but am thinking of trying out agave soon.

I've not been able to find anything other than the sorghum syrup. Dark rice syrup sounds good...anyone know where to get any?

You aren't going to find a dark rice syrup. Leave the sorghum how it is or replace some of it with brown rice syrup like the one above. Your spices ought to be enough to keep the distinctive sorghum flavor at bay.

The sorghum flavor kills me. I'd split the base malt for 1/2 sorghum and 1/2 dark rice syrup if you can find it.

I've never used agave. I use a lot of honey but am thinking of trying out agave soon.

+1 to this, or ditch the Sorghum entirely...I don't think I am going to use sorghum at all anymore. Add some yeast nutrient if you do, even with half BRS.

It might end up dry, but I doubt it with Dark Candi Sugar, it usually is less fermentable than Sorghum/DME. I would lose the maltodextrin.

That goes against everything I've heard. I've been told you must add maltodextrin to a gluten free brew to give it at least some semblence of body. The belgian dark candi is added to many peoples brew as a way to increase alcohol because its highly fermentable. Just what I've read and heard but idk I'm new to this gluten free stuff. Actually I dont like any of it compared to real beer but he likes it and cant have any real beer so I'm just trying to make something as close as I can for him.

That goes against everything I've heard. I've been told you must add maltodextrin to a gluten free brew to give it at least some semblence of body. The belgian dark candi is added to many peoples brew as a way to increase alcohol because its highly fermentable. Just what I've read and heard but idk I'm new to this gluten free stuff. Actually I dont like any of it compared to real beer but he likes it and cant have any real beer so I'm just trying to make something as close as I can for him.

Invert sugar (aka Candi Sugar) is EASIER for yeast to eat, but not more fermentable than normal sugar. That is the primary use of candi sugar, to keep yeast from stressing.

You must check your individual sugar for its fermentability, usually noted in PPG. Standard PPG for base malts is around 1.035. The candi sugar I use has 1.032, making it less fermentable, YMMV.

Corn sugar (dextrose) is more commonly use to dry beer out (aka give it less body and more alcohol).

Latest posts

Back