Anybody Have a Clone Recipie for Buffalo Bills Pumpkin Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I looked at the database and there are many pumpkin ales in there. I'd like to get as close to Buffalo Bills as I can.

Or is one in the database highly recommended.

I brewed this last month and it turned out ok. The pumpkin spice is a little too strong still and there is very little pumpkin taste which surprised me. The wort had a noticeable pumpkin taste prior to fermentation but it hasn't come through yet. This was my first try at a pumpkin ale and I was hoping to get close to Buffalo Bill's. Maybe this can at least get you pointed in the right direction and you can learn from my mistakes.

10 pounds 2-Row
1 pound Crystal malt 60L
1 pound Special Roast
4 - 15 oz. cans pumpkin (added to mash)
.5 pounds rice hulls (more than usual but I was afraid of getting stuck)
1 oz. Hallertauer (60 minutes)
1 pound brown sugar (60 minutes)
1.5 tbsp pumpkin pie spice (15 minutes)
Whirfloc (15 minutes)
1 oz. Hallertauer (5 minutes)
Wyeast American Ale #1056 (made a starter)

I have only had it kegged for about 4 weeks but the pumpkin pie spice still seems overpowering. I'm hoping it will mellow and allow some of the pumpkin flavor to come through. I have heard of some people placing the pumpkin in the boil instead of the mash tun but also ended up with quite a bit of loss on the back end because of the pumpkin at the bottom of the fermenter. I am pretty confident I had full conversion of the pumpkin as there were no traces of pumpkin in the grain after the mash.

Next time the plan is 1 or 2 more cans of pumpkin and 1 tbsp of pumpkin spice at 5 minutes.

Hope this helps a little.

I have been looking for one as well and have had very little luck. If you find something let me know and i will do the same!

I think I have a recipe for Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale. Looking at the beer, it has a low IBU (11) and uses Nugget hops. The brewery also says they use only Pale and Crystal malts (60L) so I came up with the below with Beersmith. Looking at this it is obvious where I went wrong, way too hoppy and too many grains. I hope to brew this recipe this coming weekend and can let you know how it goes.

I will say my original mellowed quite a bit and has become quite tasty, but nothing like Buffalo Bill's.

9# Pale Malt
1# Crystal Malt (60L)
.5# CaraPils (give it a little more body)
3 - 29 oz cans of canned pumpkin in the mash (Libby's)
.25# Rice Hulls

.5oz Nugget Hops (15 min)
1 tbsp Pumpkin Spice (5 min)

Back