Anybody know how to fix a brew belt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratslinger

Reaction score
I recently had a minor mishap while trying to remove a brew belt from a full carboy, and the blue part of the belt came disconnected from the plug.

I have two white wires exposed, coming out of the blue part itself (assuming this is the heating element) and the two leads coming off the plug. Is it just a simple matter of reconnecting the hearing element in some fashion? It doesn't look like a typical wire you'd have to strip to connect, which is the only thing that really has me unsure...

Without seeing it there is no way to be sure. But I would assume that you just need splice the wires back together and then give it a go.

I just had to do this to mine. The wires that are the heating element are not solid wire. It is a core of fiber with a hair thin wire coiled around it. What I did was to remove some of the coiled wire and solder it to the plug. Afterwords I covered it with 3 coats of liquid electricians tape, Harbor Freight. I would have preferred to use heat shrink tubing but I did not have any. I straightened out a coat hanger and made a hook on the end. I pulled out all the wire from the blue tube and used this to push it back to the end. It has worked fine since doing this.

Back