Inserting the Johnson Probe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krane

Reaction score
I just ordered (don't physically have it yet) the Johnson Controller and I'm wondering how you insert the probe into the fridge itself. I've read a lot about which one to buy etc. but haven't seen much discussion about how the probe physically goes in. Do you have to drill a hole? Do you have any tips for avoiding hitting anything important? I have a regular stand up fridge with a freezer on top. Any advice is appreciated.

I assume you are using the fridge as a fermentation chamber. Yes, you need a small hole for the probe. Most refrigerators with the freezers above have their coils in the back and underneath. I drilled through the side of my refrigerator for the CO2 line, no problem. The door is also safe.

This was a pretty funny thread title. I know I am immature but it is a friday and I am at work still.

Hahaha! I was curious too. I thought it was a banned boneyard thread looking for a new home.

Yeah I've been typing in "Johnson" in all kinds of searches and getting a laugh out of it too. Surprisingly Johnson doesn't bring up unsavory search results.

I just run mine through the crack between the door and the fridge "cabinet" on the hinged side of the door. The little magnetic rubber strip just seals around it.

First option IMO is always look for a drain hole plug and route the probe through that. Zero chance of messing up the fridge/freezer.

Just so I have something constructive to add to this thread, ^^I agree. I have done a lot of wiring in cars, and I try and use what the manufacturer gives for everything (ground points, wire routes, etc)!

I just run mine through the crack between the door and the fridge "cabinet" on the hinged side of the door. The little magnetic rubber strip just seals around it.

Me too. Works just fine. The wire for the probe (full disclosure, I've got a Ranco, so I don't know if it's different on the Johnson) is small enough that it doesn't affect the seal or temp retention.

No need to drill a hole for that.

Ok,ok,...got hung up. I've seen folks run them in under the gasket,then taped to the side of the fermenter. I guess to more accurately judge the needed temp?...

That's another thing, once I've got my Johnson Probe inserted, what do I do with it?

I've read more about this and heard about the cup of water/tape/fan but what are your opinions on these? Has anybody had bad luck with any of them?

Loving the responses, keep em coming...I think from now on every thread title I make will include the word Johnson.

I hope that the insertee is accepting of the Johnson and not resistant, because that would be wrong.

Krane said:
That's another thing, once I've got my Johnson Probe inserted, what do I do with it?

I've read more about this and heard about the cup of water/tape/fan but what are your opinions on these? Has anybody had bad luck with any of them?

Loving the responses, keep em coming...I think from now on every thread title I make will include the word Johnson.

Usually, once the probe is inserted, one would move it in and out a bit but I don't think that would do much good in this context. I usually tape my probe to the side of the fermentor. It makes it a bit difficult to move around and its not very comfortable but the temps stay pretty constant.

So my Johnson arrived today. After inspecting the wire that is connected to the probe, I think I'll just insert it through the crack in the door. It's a lot smaller than I thought and I can't see it causing a problem with the seal on the door. After some more reading, I may try and wrap it in bubble wrap and put that inside. I'm thinking if the copper probe just sits in water it will corrode. Has anyone had problems with putting it in water?

My next question is this: what does adjusting the set point do? By this I mean taking off the cover and adjusting the screw inside the controller. I'm under the impression that you adjust what temperature you want the fridge at by adjusting the knob. Isn't the analog controller set to turn off and on at + or - 3.5* F from where you set it and isn't adjustable?

Basically, what does the adjustable screw within the controller do?

Latest posts

Back