Over Carbonated??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadguyry

Reaction score
So I bottled my hefeweizen 10 days ago and decided to open one up smells incredible but when I poured it the bubbles never cease they just keep coming. And it reminds me of when you get soda out of the fountain and there is no soda left just carbonated water. Should i let it stay in the bottle longer?

From what I've read, yes. Also leave it in the fridge for at least 24 hours before you crack it open.

What the other guys say is all good. After two and a half years in Germany I have to tell you that Weizens need a really gentle pour into an almost horizontal glass or they really foam up.

I also just realized something this was the batch I lost about 2 gallons of due to fermenting in a 5 gallon carboy. But i still used the same amount of priming sugar that is called for a 5 gallon batch. Is my beer just going to be over carbonated no matter what? And thanks for the quick replies guys I appreciate it.

If you used sugar for 5 gallons of beer but only had 3 gallons of beer in your bucket then yes chances are pretty good that you will be over carbonated and possible bottle bombs. You may want to open and recap them to release some of the built up gas. Then let them set for another week or so and try one again. You may have to do this more than once to get the correct carbonation. Was everything else ok with the batch? Did you hit your targets? :mug:

Thanks Ryan and Yea I did more so then i thought i would. So I can cap and rebottle? That wont have and affect on the beer taste but can lower the carbonation levels?

Thanks Ryan and Yea I did more so then i thought i would. So I can cap and rebottle? That wont have and affect on the beer taste but can lower the carbonation levels?

Don’t rebottle just recap. Pop them off and put new clean sanitized caps on. The only taste difference should be on the positive side since too much carbonation can have a sharp bite and the beer should be smoother with the correct level of carbonation. I would recap all but 2 or 3 bottles let them sit at room temp for about 7-10 days then chill a bottle for 24-48 hours. Then pop open one of the over carbonated that you set aside (properly chilled also)and one of the recap's and do a side by side taste and carbonation test. You should be able to see the difference that way you can then decide if you want to recap again to lower the carbonation more. Good luck!

I would highly encourage you to wear eye protection, neck protection, gloves and treat those bottles like live ordinance. The type of force the broken glass propels at is downright scary.

Latest posts

Back