Compressed air to purge/clean kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradneal

Reaction score
I am wondering if there is any down-side to rigging up a connection to use compressed air when cleaning my corny's as opposed to using valuable C02.

For example, when cleaning out between batches, one rinses and purges the lines before racking the new batch into the keg. I have always used my C02 for that task, but I'd rather save that for my beer and use my air compressor for cleaning.

Anyone else doing this?

Thanks,
Brad

if you have an oilless compressor, you can use it for that purpose. but, if your compressor has an oil-filled crankcase, forget about it... it's almost impossible to filter out all of the oil mist unless you use expensive air filters like auto body shops use to clean their air.

I use mine all the time if I'm not actually putting brew in. If I change a poppet or o-ring I will test with air to make sure I'm holding pressure rather than waste CO2. Same thing whenever I pick up a new keg. Air is free, CO2 not so much. No brainer as far as I'm concerned.

I have started siphoning using a cobra tap. Fill the sucker up with oxiclean or whatever, snap on the cobra line, pop the lid off, and just suck on the tap line until I get a siphon going. It isn't a really vigorous flow but it does the trick.

I use mine all the time if I'm not actually putting brew in.
Same here (and I don't have an oil-less compressor.) Been doing it for years with no issues. The only thing I have done is add one of these filters and a regulator (set at 30psi) in the line.

sanitary-filter.jpg

Back