Adding Lemon Zest to Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetallHed

Reaction score
This is my first beer to have an addition such as lemon zest. My only glass carboy is currently being used for Apfelwein (can't wait for that!), and quite frankly, I'm lazy and was wondering if I could add the lemon zest directly to the primary instead of racking on top of the zest in a bright tank.

Is this a good idea, or should I get off my azz and fork out the cash for another carboy and rack on top of the zest?

Thanks!
:rockin:

FWIW: I'm doing the Lemon Coriander Weiss kit from Midwest. It has been in primary for two weeks thus far. I have not checked the gravity yet on it. It has been sitting at about 67F-69F in a swamp cooler.

meh... USE THE SEARCH STOOPID!

there is another thread already for the same kit and question.. sorry for the wasted space!

alright gotta revive this one. question still open as I cant find a definitive answer. OP of other thread hasn't responded.

Can I just pitch the zest into the primary, or should I rack onto the zest in a secondary? I would like a decent flavor of lemon and the brew has been in primary for two weeks. Haven't taken a SG yet.

Soak the zest in a bit of vodka for a few hours, then pour carefully (to avoid splashing) into primary. It will be fine. I've added plenty of things you're supposed to secondary into primary and never had a problem. Just sanitize and you'll be fine.

I am going to add lemon zest to my Honey Rye during the boil (10 minutes or so). I think it wouls work if you added it to the primary as well.

Microwave the zest before adding for 45sec so you do not introduce undesirable bacteria. Vodka may work, but I probably would drink the vodka!

im fermenting an orange wheat right now (second batch of this) and I use orange and corriander. I use the zest as well as the fruit of 4 oranges and a tbsp of corriander and steep it in hot but not boiling water for ~20 min, cool it down and dump everything though a mesh bag, tie it up and throw it in my bucket and pitch the yeast. Since im using whole fruit i only keep it in bucket for 4 days and it gives a nice orange flavor but if you're only using zest im sure you could keep it in the primary for the duration of fermentation but be sure you boil/steep/microwave the zest to pasturize it and kill off any bacteria that might be in there.

Back