Lemon Zest addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andruss15

Reaction score
Afternoon, fellow brewers!

I thought I would head back to the threads because you guys have been extremely helpful to me. This weekend I will be brewing a partial mash witbier following a recipe from my local HBS. I've been making slight tweaks here and there to these recipes as I go and wanted to get peoples opinion.

This particular witbier has hints of blueberry and coriander and I was planning on adding the coriander to the boil (approx 10 mins left) and the blueberry added to the fermenter before bottling. I was thinking of adding a slight hint of lemon as well and wanted to know what would be the best way to do this. My thought was to zest 1 or 2 lemons and add with 5 mins left in the boil or flameout. Does anyone have success with this and could offer up any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

You run the risk of extracting bitterness from boiling citrus peel. I have had good success using grapefruit peel by grating it using a cheese grater and letting it steep in a cup or two of vodka for 24-48 hours. That extracts the oils and sterilizes everything at the same time. Then dump it in your primary and let it soak for three days before bottling/racking. Makes a huge difference and you'll like it. A lot!

I use a "zester" tool from the kitchen store to zest my lemons and throw them in the boil with 20 minutes to go. Zest from two lemons won't do a whole lot in my opinion, doubt you will notice it. You may want to shoot for a couple more to get just a hint in five gallons.

Back