Carbing single bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g_rath

Reaction score
I know I read it somewhere (Charlie P's book I think, which my friend has) but how much sugar would I put into a single bottle to carb it. I want to make some NA beer to send to non drinkers. I know about adding yeast again.

You neccessarily have to add yeast again. Per 5gal batch you usually use 3/4 of corn sugar to prime. So depending how big your batch was, etc. you can calculate how much sugar you will need. It's not very much for a single bottle.

There are carb drops/tabs for exactly this purpose. Drop one (or however many) in and cap.

You neccessarily have to add yeast again.

G: I assume this was a typo for "you don't necessarily have to add yeast again", since unless you're working with high-gravity beers the pitching yeast will have enough oomph to do the carbing.

My understanding for a low alcohol beer (I don't think you can make it completely NA) is that you heat it to boil off the alcohol, is that right? Then, when it's cool, you'd have to add a tiny bit of yeast along with the priming sugar to make it carbonate in the bottle. I think that's what the OP is saying.

I'd buy the carb tabs, but I think there is 48 tsp in one cup of sugar. If you usually use 3/4 of a cup of sugar to prime, that is 36 tsp of sugar, right? So, you use 36 tsp sugar for 5 gallons (640 ounces). So, that's about 3/4 tsp per 12 ounce bottle (actually, it's .68 tsp per 12 ounce bottle).

That doesn't seem like much at all- so please check that math!

I see; thanks for the correction. The heating to evaporate the alcohol would kill the yeast. Right.

Back