Starch Conversion Test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, and no you don't have to dilute it, just a drop should work.

My answer is no. You can use iodophor for the iodine test, but there is no reason to do the test at all. Unless you really screwed up your mash, conversion will be complete in 45 minutes or so. The iodine test for conversion will give you a wrong reading as often as not.

If your mashing procedures are consistent, and your efficiency is good, you are getting good conversion. Husk material and insufficient crush will keep giving you a reading that conversion is not complete. Improperly doing the test will also give you an erroneous reading. The test just isn't needed.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

I was going to ask this same question too. I went to the LHBS and asked for a tincture of iodine.

The guy goes what the hell is that?

I tell him its for testing starch conversion for AG.

He's like you don't need that crap, you've been reading too much. Just mash it at the right temps & time and it'll work.

I was like......OK..... The rest of the conversation is worth posting elsewhere.

I got my answer, confirmed.

Back