Best Water Test for Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What's the best water test for beer, without paying for information I don't need? I have seen people recommend a company called Ward, but they offer a whole slew of tests at different prices.

Just remember, a test is only a snapshot in time.

Depending on your water source(s), it may change.
By calling your water company (quality control) you can get the skinny on that, such as seasonal, weather based, or other fluctuations.

My water company is a well.

I don't think the test will reflect the levels of cow and squirrel urine, but I have confidence they are both sufficient.

Yeah. What he's saying is it will fluctuate... I'm on a well .. as well.. also... it changes. Mine doesnt make significant changes and I'm sure my numbers are in the ballpark, a tds meter is a cheap tool to have on hand to check on a regular. I also keep a salifert kit to verify my acid additions are putting my alkalinity where it should be.

The brewers test is more money for no extra info. The livestock suitability test is fine.
Is the only difference, for the extra $7.50, the iron test? I have to imagine that people on municipal water don't have to worry too much about iron (or can check iron levels from the provider's report).

There is definitely some iron in my water. When I turn the pump on after repairs, rust appears in the water for a short time, so there must be some rust in it all the time.

The action level for iron is 0.3ppm iirc - but that's a taste and odor concern at that level, not a health concern. That said, we brew beer and expose all its warts, and a "bloody" character would be a nasty defect...

Cheers!

The big minerals in this area are calcium carbonate and calcium bicarbonate. It will be interesting to see what the report says. I have to put citric acid in my dishwasher to keep lime from accumulating on everything. I am not near the big high-sulfur areas.

Like everybody said, the Brewers test from Ward gives you all the numbers you need to enter into any of the water software and not alot else. I had mine tested at different times of the year over a couple years because the first test I had done came back high in sodium. I had that done in feb and I wanted to make sure it wasn’t temp due to road salt after a snow storm, etc. A test I had done the next summer was a little better but still higher than I like. I still wonder if your water tests different at different times of the year.

The big takeaway for me is I have really low sulfate here so I have to add gypsum to everything.

Back