Plastic conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crasher

Reaction score
I bought a plastic 6.5 gallon conical.
It has a bottom valve at the cone and a small ball valve on the side.
As I understand conicals are about not having to transfer from a primary to a secondary carboy. I also am under the impression I can bottle from the conical without transferring to a bottle bucket. Is this true?
If so, do a just pour in the priming sugar on top? Do I stir it in? I am worried about yeast that is still in after secondary release.
Thanks for the help
Crasher

With a conical you can harvest yeast and dump trub from the bottom valve so you can secondary in the same vessel if you're worried about it sitting on the yeast cake (but you don't need to be). I'd still use a bottling bucket, because even if you dump the yeast cake out the bottom I'm sure you are still going to have some yeast clinging to the sides that would get stirred up when you stirred in your priming solution. The higher valve lets you rack off the beer from above the sediment. Just make sure you remove your airlock/blowoff tube before opening either of the valves or you will get suckback.

In theory you can dump the yeast & call it the secondary. In actuality you won't be dumping all the yeast but I doubt that's going to matter that much. You won't be using a plastic conical for long secondaries anyway. You want to use glass (carboy) or Stainless Steel (Corny) for a long secondary. I found that bottling from the racking port is not practical so just rack to a keg or bottling bucket.

I am using the sugar tabs/pils for bottling directly from the conical into the bottles. Making sure to not disturb the trub in the cone. I always take out the airlock to drop trub the first 5 days and to bottle. I love how this system works.:mug:

I have the 8 gal from them and have been using it for about 10 years. Very happy with the way it's performed. I also have their mash/lauter tun. Both are great products.

Back