Me Too...Me Too...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
Been reading all the great info on going AG tonight....

Couple of questions...
1. Why does the cooler have to be 10 gallons if I am doing 5 gallon batches?
2. Why is everyone buying 2 of these (do I need a seperate mt and lt?)? Is it for rests? Why do you need rests?
3. Do I need a hot liquor tank? Why can't I just use my brew kettle?
4. How do I figure out the efficiency after brewing?
5. How do I figure out how much water to use with the grain, then how much with the batch sparge?
6. Do you still steep specialty grains or put then in with the base grain?
I saw an earlier post where a guy was using a 5g cooler and a similar homemade setup, put in 160 degree water held for an hour, then let it run into the brewpot. Then soak (sparge) the grain with 170, recycle that water a few times, then into the brewpot. What does the second cooler do? Thanks!!!

Kayos said:
Been reading all the great info on going AG tonight....

Couple of questions...
1. Why does the cooler have to be 10 gallons if I am doing 5 gallon batches?
2. Why is everyone buying 2 of these (do I need a seperate mt and lt?)? Is it for rests? Why do you need rests?
3. Do I need a hot liquor tank? Why can't I just use my brew kettle?
4. How do I figure out the efficiency after brewing?
5. How do I figure out how much water to use with the grain, then how much with the batch sparge?
6. Do you still steep specialty grains or put then in with the base grain?
I saw an earlier post where a guy was using a 5g cooler and a similar homemade setup, put in 160 degree water held for an hour, then let it run into the brewpot. Then soak (sparge) the grain with 170, recycle that water a few times, then into the brewpot. What does the second cooler do? Thanks!!!

1. It doesn't. Most people get a 10 gallon cooler for the ability to do bigger beers or 10 gallon batches in the future ( You say you won't now, but you WILL :D ). A 5 gallon cooler will be fine, but you'll be limited to about a 1.065 beer.
2. The other cooler is for a hot liquor tank.
3. Yes, you could use yur brew kettle but you'll have to batch sparge then (which is preferred by many anyway).
4. The best way is to get some kind of brewing recipe program like promash or brewmith or beetools.
5. The standard water to grain is 1.25 quarts per lb of grain. You can go down to about 1 qt. per pound for a thicker mash.
6. Add the specialty grains right to the mash.

Dude...you freeeaaakin' rule. Thanks for dealing with me. I need to buy you that Sam Adams glass now......WITH beer in it. More questions to come, I am sure.

You will need a second container for holding the sparge water while draining the first runnings or for holding the first runnings while keeping the sparge water warm. I just want to bring this up since I'm always running around looking for a second vessel when I brew.

Latest posts

Back