Shrinking pictures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AleHole

Reaction score
I was wondering if there was anyway to resize picture taken from my digital camera? When I upload them to my computer and then try to upload them to this site they are always too big. I have been going to a website called
http://www.shrinkpictures.com
to resize but figured there was a way to do it through Windows or Picasa.

You could get GIMP (free even for windows) and re-sample, change the size or change the compression.

I think I will look into them both. GIMP sounds right because its free. Thanks for the help.

You can do it in picassa- just click on the photo and click the export button on the bottom. It will ask you what size you want to resize to, and will save it with a -1 after the name of the file. It's not too much of a pain if you're already using picassa.

Yooper Chick said:
You can do it in picassa- just click on the photo and click the export button on the bottom. It will ask you what size you want to resize to, and will save it with a -1 after the name of the file. It's not too much of a pain if you're already using picassa.

Thanks Yooper, that seems easiest as I use picassa. Whats a good size to upload to this forum?

Try anywhere between the sizes of 400 to 800 resolution. It'll be fine at that size.

And never use paint, they make .bmp files and most the time you'll lose a lot of quality. IMO

If you run Windows XP, there's a nifty "PowerToy" from Microsoft called the Image Resizer. It adds the ability to resize pics by simply Right-Clicking on the image. If you're looking at a folder full of images you can select as many as you want and it'll resize them all in one batch. It has pre-sets for common sizes as well as the ability to create a custom size.

I find it handy anyway...

Free download here:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

AleHole said:
Thanks Yooper, that seems easiest as I use picassa. Whats a good size to upload to this forum?

It took a long time to find that in Picassa! I messed around with it for about a year to figure it out. It has to be less than 600 (in any direction) to upload, IIRC. I'll try the image resizer from Microsoft sometime, though.

Yooper Chick said:
It took a long time to find that in Picassa! I messed around with it for about a year to figure it out. It has to be less than 600 (in any direction) to upload, IIRC. I'll try the image resizer from Microsoft sometime, though.

Thanks again I got it all figured out...piece of cake. Now I just need to start a new folder with all my resized pictures.:ban:

Latest posts

Back