second runnings question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelastdandy

Reaction score
alright, i finally decided to do my first partigyle brew day. an american barley wine/whatever comes out of the second runnings. i am going to mash low (around 149) to add to the fermentability for the barley wine. i don't want my lighter brew from the second runnings to turn out to dry due to the low mash temp. though. anyway i can counteract this? anybody have experience with this? any help is appreciated.

I've never done a partigyle brew... but I suppose you could steep some specialty grains in your second kettle, like you'd do with an extract batch, while your main mash is happening. Then add your second runnings to that kettle and boil both batches at the same time... what's the grain bill for your barleywine? If it's simple it seems like you would have a lot of options for your small beer.

Just an idea. Might do it myself soon.

+1 on adding grains for the second runnings. Add gravity and sweetness. Less attenuative yeast would help. You could always add some lactose too.

Back