Fresh yeast for 5 gallons, how much should I get

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imaguitargod

Reaction score
My brewmaster friend at Willoughby Brewing company is going to give me some fresh yeast out of one of the tanks for my brew season this Friday. I'm doing a 5 gallon batch. If I fill up one of the White Labs yeast containers with the new yeast, think that'll about do it? Or should I get a quart jar's worth and pitch that?

According to the Mr Malty calculator, you need somewhere between 60 ml and 100 ml depending on your OG and depending on the % of other matter (trub etc) in with the yeast. If you go with 100 ml, you won't be over pitching. This is more than a White Labs vial. Figure a bit more that 3 oz.

According to the Mr Malty calculator, you need somewhere between 60 ml and 100 ml depending on your OG and depending on the % of other matter (trub etc) in with the yeast. If you go with 100 ml, you won't be over pitching. This is more than a White Labs vial. Figure a bit more that 3 oz.

So how many ml is the White Labs vial?

Latest posts

Back