Does kegging have the same effect on beer as bottling does?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad26

Reaction score
I just kegged my imperial outmeal stout, and it was probably one of the most delicious beers I have ever had, but I also aged it for a month and a half in a secondary. What I'm wondering is does kegging a beer for a couple of days, after it's been in the primary for a couple of weeks, have the same effect of conditioning the beer in a bottle for 3 weeks?

No. Beer still ages. One thing about a keg is you drink from the bottom and it takes longer for the trub to fall to the bottom than a 12 oz bottle. With a high gravity brew you will be able to carb it faster. I still think bottle conditioned beers taste better (and it's never took three weeks.)

I just kegged my imperial outmeal stout, and it was probably one of the most delicious beers I have ever had, but I also aged it for a month and a half in a secondary. What I'm wondering is does kegging a beer for a couple of days, after it's been in the primary for a couple of weeks, have the same effect of conditioning the beer in a bottle for 3 weeks?

I agree with you on this. My perception of this, is that when bottling you are again adding some fermentables again. Now the yeast go through another bout of matabolizing sugar into alochol and CO2. During this process you are again creating various flavors and by-products. However this time it is happening in a sealed vessel. I think the time needed in the bottle is to mellow out the flavors and basically do again what you have already done in buckets or carboys.

With kegging beer, youre just using pretty flavorless CO2 to a beer that has been fermented and well conditioned and clarifed (as i am assuming what happens in your secondary).

I follow a pretty similar regiment as you do. Ferment and settle in a primary for 2 to 4 weeks, then transfer to a secondary for 2 to 4 weeks for clarifying/aging. Then i cold crash and transfer to a tertiary over gelatin and let set for 3 to 5 days. My timing mostly depends on how full the supply chain is rather that the beer style :)

I see. So I should still condition the beer for about a month or so in the secondary before I keg.

I was curious, because I've read a lot about how kegging beer is so much better than bottling, but I have never heard (or just haven't read) that the beer should be conditioned for a month or so before kegging.

Many people have the OPINION that kegged beer is better than bottled beer but its really just preferance. This has been debated on here tons. Lots of people prefer thir bottles.

I'd think that if your beer turned out as good as you say it did, i would stay with that method. However, some of the best things have been found by mistake when trialing :)

Maybe try a batch ansd split it into to secondaries and vary the time in each and see what id does for your beer - cheers

Back