When to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAlexander

Reaction score
Hey guys:

Made a batch of Edworts Apfelwein (same recipe except with Champagne yeast) and it's been fermenting at about 70-72 degrees for about 3 weeks. Yeast has dropped out and it has lost quite a bit of it's cloudiness, the airlock has stopped bubbling and there are only a tiny amount of champagne bubbles coming up occasionally at the very top of the carboy. When do I know when it's safe to bottle? I've heard cider is notorious for blowing bottles, so I want to make sure I give it enough time.

Thanks.

My experience with ciders (and meads) is very limited so take this with a grain of salt, but one thing that a brewing buddy really pounded into my head while we were brewing meads was "as soon as you think it's ready to bottle and your hydrometer has settled, STOP! Wait another month and test it again."

this really helped my meads clarify and develop some great overtones and really distinct flavors. My best mead was the longest fermentation and aging. 6 weeks primary, 4 months secondary, and a year in the bottle. patience never tasted so good!

Hey guys,

Alright, been almost 4 weeks. There are still very small amounts of champagne bubbles coming up the sides, the hydrometer is bubbling once every 12-15 seconds. The cider is about clear, almost all of the yeast has dropped to the bottom. Still wondering if it's safe to bottle it yet. Any help?

my batch ended between .998 and 1.000 going from memory
edit: i think my memory is poor - probably closer to .996, the 1.000 was on the mikes lemonade after adding lactose.

Well, if you used champagne yeast, it'll ferment out totally dry, to maybe .996 or so. You should take a reading at least a few days apart to see if it's changing. I would guess that it's still fermenting right now, though!

Back