First Batch: Final Gravity Reading Too High

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blueberryspies

Reaction score
I used the Brewer's Best Dunkelweizen kit. I got an initial gravity reading of right around 1.055. The initial fermentation process was pretty violent (probably because it was about 74 degrees in the apartment) and we had to create a blow off for the gas. This noticeable fermentation lasted about 2.5 days, and the gravity was 1.020 at this point. I checked again today, day 5, and it hasn't dropped any lower.

The final gravity is supposed to be between 1.010 and 1.014. Where do I go from here? Do I try to restart the yeast, just bottle it and deal with the extra sweetness or wait it out a few more days?

Also, the yeast I used was Wyeast Bavarian wheat yeast

Thanks for your help.

Here's what I'd do: Wait a couple of weeks - though they can finish in 7 days, sometimes it takes longer. I wouldn't get worried until around week 4. When you've decided you're in a hurry, taste it first, see if it's OK despite the FG. If not, rouse the yeast and keep it warm to see if that gets it going. If that doesn't work, you can pitch a different yeast to finish it up, though you may want to use a starter to ensure that the second pitch is healthy and active.

Be careful bottling with a higher-than-normal FG, the bottles can explode.

Latest posts

Back