Wyeast Belgian Abbey Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

Reaction score
I'm planning on making Midwests Fat Tire clone as my first homebrew. I would like to use the Wyeast Activator yeast below.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/belgian-ale-activator-wyeast-act1214-4-25-oz.html

The ideal temperature range for this strain of yeast is 68-78*. Which would work well for me since I have a closet that stays at a rock solid 72* and I wouldn't have to screw around with a swamp cooler for my first batch. My question is should I be concerned with off flavors fermenting at that warm of a temp? I would think not since that is the reccommended temp for this particular yeast, but what gives me pause is that most ale yeasts need to be in the mid to low 60's. Is this even a good yeast for this brew, or should I go with a different strain? Thanks!!!

I would choose a different yeast, fat tire doesnt use a belgian strain. I'd use something neutral like WLP001/Wyeast 1056/Fermentis S-05. theres a number of clones for it on the site here if you search for it

also, in general its not recommended to start with such a high fermentation temp since the act of fermentation will drive up the internal temp at least 3 degrees. I'd keep it lower if you can

According to Brew Like a Monk (I have never used this yeast).

75F-85F --> Clove, Bubblegum, Banana, Alcohol, Rose, Fruity
65F-75F --> Clove, Alcohol, Penolic, Fruity

I have never used this yeast.

I wouldn't use it for a Fat Tire clone, but 1214 makes a great Triple and your temps would be fine. I'd put a little effort in keeping the temps down initially (Like at night, swamp, etc)...but after that the temp variations and high temps that I have gotten away with making belgians are legion. Good luck with whatever you make.

Back