Wanting to use 2 new grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limited Visibility

Reaction score
I am wanting to make an rye IPA but I wanted to use another malt than 2-row. I have been leaning towards a Vienna rye IPA. I am trying to get some more malt flavor than the 2-row gives me. How do you think the Vienna and rye would go together?

The Vienna-heavy IPA has been done as is talked about in this thread - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/munich-vienna-ipa-67359/index2.html

Apparently Victory uses mostly Vienna in their IPA. As for the Vienna-Rye combination, what proportions were you planning on using? Personally I'd stick with a pale malt base and just use the Vienna and Rye in larger proportions than would normally be done. Denny's Rye IPA is very popular - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/denny-conns-wry-smile-rye-ipa-84515/

I was thinking of just using Vienna on its own... having read through your first link I might leave the crystal out. I was planning a 4 gallon batch, here is what I am thinking. Please let me know what you think this is my first recipe I am trying to make

4 gallon batch

7 lbs Vienna
1.25 lbs Rye Malt
.75 lbs crystal 60

not sure on the hop selections or schedule yet but I know I will be using zeus hops for my bittering. I made an IPA last year with them and I really liked the flavor

Looks good to me. I was thinking along the same lines for the rye ratio. Put it all into brewing software, play around with the crystal, and see how it affects your numbers. It won't be perfect the first time but recipe formulation is all about tweaking and seeing what works compared to the benchmark, and most importantly sharing your recipe with us when you've hit a home run.;)

Latest posts

Back