First cider, concentrate and juice only.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazybluerider

Reaction score
I have brewed a couple of ciders before but always with bread yeast and just juice. Usually half gallon batches in the the bottle they came in. Never really knowing what I was doing. I have recently started brewing beer and have a better idea of how things work now.

The recipe is:

4 gallons Safeway brand pure apple juice.
8 16oz cans of Safeway concentrate.
1 package of Nottingham yeast.
carb with 12oz can of concentrate.

The idea is to keep it 100% apple juice based "no artificial sweeteners" if you will.

The plan is to bottle at 1.010 per the pasteurization thread and use one can of concentrate to bring the gravity up to 1.013-14 so when carbed it is still around 1.010.

Starting gravity was 1.088. The combination of 4 gallons of juice and 8 cans of concentrate yielded right at 5 gallons of "wort". I mixed this up Monday night after work and pitched the yeast around 7:00. It is camping in the corner of my brew room and bubbling away happily. When the fermentation slows down I will begin taking SG readings.

:mug:

Back