Kegged my Stone IPA Clone today - Wow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
My first IPA and I'm impressed! I kegged it (making sure that the beer level did not cover the gas in post) and dropped in 1 oz. of Centennial pellets in large stainless herb ball. Wow, it dropped very clear sitting in the Primary in cold storage for a few weeks. It came out to 6.5% abv as I don't think I boiled enough off as I always make enough to make sure I get a full keg.

Here's the recipe. It's awesome for Hop Heads. I can't wait to see what a month with dry hopping does.

10.5# 2-Row Pale
1 # Munich
1# Crystal 20L
1 oz. Warrior 60 minutes
1 oz. Centennial at 45 minutes
1 oz. Centennial at 5 minutes

Safbrew US-56 Dry Yeast

Dry hop with 1 oz. Centennial

Sounds great. Maybe after my Red Hook ESB clone this weekend, I need to step up to a good IPA.

:off:

I sure wish I could get my kegged brew clear. Ed, is there a magic time frame when cold chilling clears the beer. I cold chill, but usually only for a week or two.

Oh yeah, I just got my back flow check valves (the plastic ones) yesterday...guess I'll be cutting hose tonight.

BierMuncher said:
:off:

I sure wish I could get my kegged brew clear. Ed, is there a magic time frame when cold chilling clears the beer. I cold chill, but usually only for a week or two..

My process now is fermenting in a bucket for 10 days to 2 weeks, then crash cool in my chest freezer to 39 degrees for a another week (or when I get around to cleaning and sanitizing a keg), then kegging and it sits on gas at 12 PSI till I move it to my kegerator inside.

The beer will be cloudy at first from moving from my garage to my kegerator in my kitchen, but after a few days of sitting still at 38 degrees, it will drop pretty darn clear. Patience is the key, or using a secondary or running it through a filter. I have a filter setup, but I have yet to use it.

ColoradoXJ13 said:
mmm, stone IPA is delicious, among my favorites right now.

Ja, Ich auch!

Man, I drank my hydrometer jar this morning at 6:45 cause I couldn't just pour it down the drain. Wow, what flavor & aroma and a hop kick!

I need to get more faucets and a bigger kegerator! :D

Code:
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Ed Wort's Stone IPA Clone
Brewer: 98EXL
Asst Brewer: 
Style: India Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal      
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 7.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 83.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
10.50 lb      Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        84.00 %       
1.00 lb       Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)     Grain        8.00 %        
1.00 lb       Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                     Grain        8.00 %        
1.00 oz       Warrior [15.00 %]  (60 min)               Hops         47.9 IBU      
1.00 oz       Centennial [10.00 %]  (Dry Hop 3 days)    Hops          -            
1.00 oz       Centennial [10.00 %]  (45 min)            Hops         29.3 IBU      
1.00 oz       Centennial [10.00 %]  (5 min)             Hops         6.4 IBU       
1 Pkgs        American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Starter Yeast-Ale                  

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
45 min        Mash In            Add 15.63 qt of water at 170.5 F    158.0 F

how does that look?

Hey Ed have you used the herb ball before? I just bought one and dry hopped my APA and was chewing on hops for the first 1/4 of the keg, I have since bought a fine nylon hop bag, I only worry this may block the OUT tube in the keg. Can't wait to try that IPA recipe, soon I'll have my 10 gallon home depot cooler setup. 12.5 lbs of grain in a 5 gallon might be tight.

bandt9299 said:
Hey Ed have you used the herb ball before? I just bought one and dry hopped my APA and was chewing on hops for the first 1/4 of the keg, I have since bought a fine nylon hop bag, I only worry this may block the OUT tube in the keg. Can't wait to try that IPA recipe, soon I'll have my 10 gallon home depot cooler setup. 12.5 lbs of grain in a 5 gallon might be tight.
Check out this thread. Illustrated and everything. ;)

Hey Ed,

I really want to make this recipe because it looks great. My mash tun is a 5 gallon rubbermade job. Is that big enough for 12.5# of grain + water? Also, I'm not set up to keg just yet so would I be able to dry hop in the secondary for 3-4 weeks and then bottle? Thanks in advance.

RotorHead6 said:
Hey Ed,

I really want to make this recipe because it looks great. My mash tun is a 5 gallon rubbermade job. Is that big enough for 12.5# of grain + water? Also, I'm not set up to keg just yet so would I be able to dry hop in the secondary for 3-4 weeks and then bottle? Thanks in advance.

@1.25qt/#, it will take up 4.91 gallons of space
http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml see bottom of page for calculator

ColoradoXJ13 said:
doing 10-gallons of this on saturday, just going to double the recipe...we'll see how it goes.

Sound good. Send me a bottle or two and I'll let you know how it turned out. :D

ColoradoXJ13 said:
doing 10-gallons of this on saturday, just going to double the recipe...we'll see how it goes.
You might want to change your plans, cuz that was post 6 six 6!!!

Colorado,

Thanks for the rackers.org website! Haven't came across that one yet. Wow, what a good one it is!!

Well, my 10-gallon batch is going to go in kegs this weekend, smells delicious. I am going at dry-hop one keg with an oz or two of centennial, the other keg is getting an oz of oak cubes and some hop variety (whatever I have in my fridge....magnum, amarillo, US Hallertau, Styrian Goldings, chinook....thats all I can think of).

The dry-hopped keg is for a ski trip Dec.6th with friends, and the oaked keg will age at RT for a month or so while I clear space in my keezer (i.e. drinking what I have in there).

Back