Shopping list

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueseamonkey

Reaction score
Greetings from Manila, Philippines!
I am hoping to start brewing my own beer here in the Philippines, as after 5 years I am now bored of drinking fizzy yellow lager. I previously made my own wines in the UK with good results, but this will be my first attempt at beer. From all the online searches I've done it seems it is very hard to get any supplies locally (especially malt, hops and yeast which have to be imported.)

There is a small group of homebrewers that meet once a month on the far side of the city, so I will head there for ideas and support next month. In the meantime though a friend of mine in Britain has offered to go to the local homebrew shop, buy enough to fill a Balikbayan box (a cheap way of sending things to the Philippines) and send it to me. As delivery costs when ordering online are usually higher than the cost of what I order, this is by far the best way to get started.

I have a pretty good idea of what equipment to ask him to send and what I can get or improvise locally. Where I am struggling though is what to ask for in terms of ingredients. While I would be ok with making beer from a kit the first time round, I would want to move onto extract or grain recipes fairly quickly. Having home-brewed before (even if it was wine not beer) I am not afraid of moving into the more advanced recipes relatively early. I tend to prefer English style bitters, pale ales, milds and stouts. My everyday drink of choice would be a well balanced pint of bitter.

The problem is I don't know exactly what will be stocked in the homebrew shop. From what I understand its a pretty good one, so should have reasonable variety, though I have no idea of what brands are available.

Basically what would really help me would be a vague idea of perhaps 2 or 3 types of hops, 2 or 3 types of malts and some advice regarding yeasts that he can look for in the shop. I would like to be able to brew a variety of types of beer over the next 6 - 12 months. (I don't know how often my friend will be able to send me boxes, though probably not more than once a year.) With Balikbayan boxes, weight is not an issue, only volume, but ingredients need to be able to cope with a 2-3 month journey by sea, so nothing that will expire too quickly.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Those beers you enjoy are pretty easy, find out what you can get nearby, then what you can't look online I guess. Ask those guys that homebrew the best place they get it.
I hope you didn't get any damage from that EQ a few days ago!
Cheers

I'd recommend spending some time in the recipe section, selecting a few recipes you think you might want to try, then figure out what ingredients you'll need. Chances are if they're the same (or similar) styles, they'll have lots of ingredients in common, so you can bulk up on those. Or, if you've got the money and storage space, just stock up on 2-row and 6-row (actually, I'd probably stick with extracts, as I don't know how a couple of months at sea in an open container might affect a bag of grain), get a good sampling of hops and start trying your own recipes.

Thanks for the tips. I will spend a few hours looking around recipes then this evening before I make my list.
Didn't even feel the earthquake this time, but the floods 2 weeks ago left us trapped in the house for 3 days (and very glad we live on the 3rd floor)

Cheers

Greetings from Manila, Philippines!
I am hoping to start brewing my own beer here in the Philippines, as after 5 years I am now bored of drinking fizzy yellow lager. I previously made my own wines in the UK with good results, but this will be my first attempt at beer. From all the online searches I've done it seems it is very hard to get any supplies locally (especially malt, hops and yeast which have to be imported.)

There is a small group of homebrewers that meet once a month on the far side of the city, so I will head there for ideas and support next month. In the meantime though a friend of mine in Britain has offered to go to the local homebrew shop, buy enough to fill a Balikbayan box (a cheap way of sending things to the Philippines) and send it to me. As delivery costs when ordering online are usually higher than the cost of what I order, this is by far the best way to get started.

I have a pretty good idea of what equipment to ask him to send and what I can get or improvise locally. Where I am struggling though is what to ask for in terms of ingredients. While I would be ok with making beer from a kit the first time round, I would want to move onto extract or grain recipes fairly quickly. Having home-brewed before (even if it was wine not beer) I am not afraid of moving into the more advanced recipes relatively early. I tend to prefer English style bitters, pale ales, milds and stouts. My everyday drink of choice would be a well balanced pint of bitter.

The problem is I don't know exactly what will be stocked in the homebrew shop. From what I understand its a pretty good one, so should have reasonable variety, though I have no idea of what brands are available.

Basically what would really help me would be a vague idea of perhaps 2 or 3 types of hops, 2 or 3 types of malts and some advice regarding yeasts that he can look for in the shop. I would like to be able to brew a variety of types of beer over the next 6 - 12 months. (I don't know how often my friend will be able to send me boxes, though probably not more than once a year.) With Balikbayan boxes, weight is not an issue, only volume, but ingredients need to be able to cope with a 2-3 month journey by sea, so nothing that will expire too quickly.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Hi, there. Does the group of brewers still hold meetings? Have you heard of any suppliers or speciality stores that sell brewing ingredients, equipment, etc? Thanks

Are any of the Filipinos still monitoring this? I too am in manila. Would really like to get to know the community.

Back