stir plate build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
First off I know this probably goes in the DIY section but I figured some beginners may be interested in how really easy this is to do.
First off I simply followed these directions and it was EASY
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-stirplate-cheap-easy-build-86252/
I will say this however. As someone who is meticulous about directions when I am doing something I am clueless about. I started from the first post and drilled my holes BUT I did not realize that the fan should be mounted first to the aluminum BOTTOM ( I thought it was the top) so my on off switch is on the right and my speed adjustment is on the left. Also if you use the project box he recommends make sure you drill between the ridges. I did not notice em and had to dremel a bit to get things set flat. My radio shack did not have the exact rocker switch so I got a lighted toggle and it works great. Also the potentiometer( sp ) has a tab on it that I guess is to hold it in place that made my dial set a little crooked. I havent got a flask and stir bar yet but I can pull a good vortex with a cup of water and a little screw sooo.

IMAG0073.jpg

I have an actual starter on it right now. some yeast I washed 13 months ago and forgot about in the back of the beer fridge. I had to do something on the plate lol.

I just finished up my stir plate yesterday. I'm amazed at how cheap they are to build! I went the ultra cheap (for me) route and used an old PC power supply.

I have not made one of these but they sell computer fans with variable speed built right on them. Like the poster above, I would use one of these with an old pc PSU for maximum laziness.

just finished the third and last one. 2 for me and 1 to trade for a temp controller. well I have em all wired and workin I just need some magnets. This one has a bigger fan and a wall plug that can be switched from 1.5 volts all the way to 12. I can get a HUGE vortex with it lol!

Back