apparent vs actual attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you define the 2 terms? In my personal experience (which may or may not be representative) the yeast attenuation numbers are fairly close to the final product.

IME it all depends on wort fermentability. I've had 95% attenuation with US-05 (repitch) and very low mash temp.

How do you define the 2 terms? In my personal experience (which may or may not be representative) the yeast attenuation numbers are fairly close to the final product.

From Palmer's "How to Brew"

Attenuation

This term is usually given as a percentage to describe the percent of malt sugar that is converted by the yeast strain to ethanol and CO2. Most yeast strains attenuate in the range of 65 - 80%. More specifically, this range is the "Apparent" attenuation. The apparent attenuation is determined by comparing the Original and Final gravities of the beer. A 1.040 OG that ferments to a 1.010 FG would have an apparent attenuation of 75%.

(From FG = OG - (OG x %) => % att. = (OG-FG)/OG)

The "Real" attenuation is less. Pure ethanol has a gravity of about 0.800. If you had a 1.040 OG beer and got 100% real attenuation, the resulting specific gravity would be about 0.991 (corresponding to about 5% alcohol by weight). The apparent attenuation of this beer would be 122%. The apparent attenuation of a yeast strain will vary depending on the types of sugars in the wort that the yeast is fermenting. Thus the number quoted for a particular yeast is an average. For purposes of discussion, apparent attenuation is ranked as low, medium, and high by the following percentages:
65-70% = Low
71-75% = Medium
76-80% = High

From Palmer's "How to Brew"

Attenuation

The apparent attenuation of a yeast strain will vary depending on the types of sugars in the wort that the yeast is fermenting.

Like I said, it depends on mash temp/grain bill.

This is a pretty good video from Wyeast that I just watched last night. Around the 27 minute mark he talks about attenuation and even gives a tip how take a sample to get an idea how you wort is going to attenuate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back