Coffee stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzy4355

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot of posts about coffee stouts and I'm considering making my own chocolate coffee stout. I just finished up a big honking Stout from Northern Brewer that was delicious and I was going to order another kit add some lactose cocoa nibs and coffee. I was wondering what everyone thought about what is the best way to add coffee to a beer? I'm looking to make something similar to the southern tier Mokha

I steep the coffee grounds with my grains (partial grain brewing), strain out all the liquid, and rinse the grains (again collecting the liquid) at the begginning of the boil. The first batch I made this way was awesome!

You can grind the grounds up and steep them in some water for a few days or so.

I've never done it, but I have heard that cold steeping brings out the best flavor. Boiling brings out some bitterness/astringency in the coffee.

I just threw a couple of ounces of freshly ground coffee in a nylon bag and added it to my stout in secondary. It has a couple more weeks to condition, but the taste I had at bottling was pretty good. Maybe even too much tho? I could have cut it down to an ounce for my 3 gallon batch.

im still a noob but maybe cold steep then add to bottling bucket to taste?

Back