Aromatic hops and freshness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReaderRabbit

Reaction score
I'm still new to homebrewing but I've come to learn that one element I really enjoy in a beer is the aromatic hops, especially something that adds a bit of tropical fruit flavor to a beer.

A couple months ago, in anticipation of spring, I picked up a Witbeer kit. I think I opened it sooner than I should have, I only gave it a month to carb (after 4 weeks of fermenting) but I liked it, especially what the aromatic hops added. As I kept drinking the batch over the next couple weeks, I noticed those tropical flavors fading. Now, the flavor is mostly malty. Still good, but missing the element I enjoyed most.

When I mentioned this at my LHBS, they told me those flavors don't last long in a beer and aromatic beers like IPAs aren't expected to age.

Since then, I've been wondering. How long should I keep a beer I brewed for the aromatic hops flavors? Can I make it last longer with more hops? By dry hopping?

I eventually want to try flavoring beers with fruits (including chili peppers and winter squash), do those flavors fade away as well? (If I want to make a cherry stout to drink over the winter, should I wait or can I make it when cherries are in season and store it?)

Whenever the beer is carbonated and reached its peak, put them all in the fridge and that will help them from aging too fast and keep a bit of that hop aroma.

When I mentioned this at my LHBS, they told me those flavors don't last long in a beer and aromatic beers like IPAs aren't expected to age.

Since then, I've been wondering. How long should I keep a beer I brewed for the aromatic hops flavors? Can I make it last longer with more hops? By dry hopping?
hops flavor does fade with time. you can age a IIPA, for example, and the taste will change & develop... but it will lose some of its hoppiness.

adding more hops, whether to the boil or via dry-hopping, will extend the hop flavoring. think of two piles of snow in the spring sun: the bigger pile will last longer since there was more to start with, but eventually it will disappear too.

if you like really hoppy beer, i would suggest that you brew at the same pace that you consume so you're always drinking fresh beer. making smaller batches more often will also help ensure that your beer is fresh.

Back