temp controlled mash schedule HELP!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raef

Reaction score
I am going to brew a recipe that has 13 pounds grain including one pound rice hulls, the recipe calls for protein rest @ 122 degrees for 15 minutes, sacc. rest at 151 degrees for 60 minutes, mash out 170 degrees for 15 minutes. i have a couple questions. What do i need to do with the rice hulls beforehand if anything? How much water at what temps do i need to add to achieve the afore mentioned mash steps? And what amount of water do i need to sparge?
It is a five gallon batch. Thanks for any help

Green Bay Rackers--Mash Calculators can help. What is your boil off? You probably can just not do the 122f rest and make it easier.

I mash thin. The first runoff is half the boil volume, the single sparge is the other half.

The grain will absorb about 7.5 quarts. Even starting 1qt/lb you will not have much left to sparge with.

13 qt strike at 137F
7.4 (boiling) to get to 151
10.4 (boiling) to get to 170
That will yield 23 qts. That would leave me 5 qt to spage with on a 60 minute boil for 5.2 gallons left in the kettle at fame out.

Starting at .8 qt/lb is better

10.4 strike at 140F
6.1 qt to 151
8.5 qt to 170
~17.5 qt first runoff. Leaves 10.5 qt to sparge.

These strike numbers are a bit high for my cooler. I might have to add some ice cubes after I've stirred it well.

Back