How do you know what grains, specifically?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffoC6

Reaction score
So I've been browsing the recipe forum a lot and noticed that there are several options for certain grains.

Example:
A recipe I like states that 0.5 lbs of Caramunich Malt is used.

I'm just messing around with the recipe on Hopville's beer calculator and they ask whether its:
-Caramunich Caramal Malt
-CaraMunich I
-CaraMunich II
-CaraMunich III
-Caramunich Malt 20
-Caramunich Malt 40
-Caramunich Malt 60

The same recipe also states that 8.5 lbs of Pilsner Malt (2-row) is used.

In Hopville, it gives you the following options:
Pilsner Malt (Belgium)
Pilsner Malt (France)
Pilsner Malt (Germany)
Pilsner Malt (UK)
and just plain Pilsner Malt

How are we supposed to know which to use? I realize you can put a message out in the thread to the OP, but oftentimes you don't get responses right away. Am I missing something that should make this easier?

I don't want to end up at the LHBS with them asking me what one of the 7 Caramunich Malts I need, and not having any idea.

Thanks all...

Generally speaking, on the vendor website (or at the lhbs) you can get more info on what distinguishes the differences. Generally speaking. Get, you're really just needing experience to know what each one brings to the table, though, I believe, English malts do tend to carry different flavors than the American counterpart.

Which one is best for a given beer? Driven by YOUR palette, style, and availability- in that order.

Not sure about the caramunic, it is just caramunic in austn homebrew supply.
For the pilsner out would depends on the style. If your being a german beer, you would use a german pils malt. The pilsner malt is most likely american.

Not sure about the caramunic, it is just caramunic in austn homebrew supply.
For the pilsner out would depends on the style. If your being a german beer, you would use a german pils malt. The pilsner malt is most likely american.

See, when I go to my LHBS's website, I get all sorts of returns for "caramunich"...I'd hate to use something that's different than the recipe I'm trying to do.

While this is a great resource, these questions are completely reasonable to ask your lhbs staff. Generally, the numbers address the level of color provided but your lhbs might label theirs differently. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out!

Back