Changes in ProMash Software when Steeping "Mashing" Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you're looking to use malts that require mashing, but are only steeping them to provide body/complexity, would you change your ProMash recipe to show no fermentables given off by the malts? Specifically I plan to steep some biscuit and wheat malt, which is traditionally mashed.

Right now I have them in my calculations, but they're in there under their default setting, which I'm assuming is that the program is taking them to be properly mashed, etc to create fermentable sugar.

I just don't want to be expecting a higher OG than what I'll ACTUALLY get due to the fact my software is assuming the sugars will be properly extracted, when in reality I'm using them solely for body/complexity/etc and will likely get very little to no fermentables out of them.

I hope this makes sense!

What temps and times are you "steeping" at? There's really not much of a difference in steeping and mashing other than holding a particular temp for a length of time...

I think you're going to get more fermentables from the grains than you expect ;)

What temps and times are you "steeping" at? There's really not much of a difference in steeping and mashing other than holding a particular temp for a length of time...

I think you're going to get more fermentables from the grains than you expect ;)

Standard 150-160F for ~30min. I was under the impression that certain grains require mashing to start the sugar conversion process. Without this step, you'd get very little fermentables.

If you put the grains in water at 150-160* for 30~ minutes, then you are mashing. That is what mashing is :) You won't "sparge" so you won't extract as much sugar as someone that did sparge (some people do brew all grain without sparging, search no-sparge brewing if you're curious)...

But yeah, you're doing it. See how easy it is? :D

Back