First batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KitrGy

Reaction score
I haven't homebrewed in years, mainly cause it was a pain washing bottles, I thought I'd give the 5gal kegs and CO2 a try. 2 batches down and I was impressed how easy it was. 1st batch Pale Ale was good, 2nd batch a cream ale was better. problem with it is it makes it so you can drink it even sooner. making it tempting to drink beer to early. I had one keg with some left in it and it was maybe a couple month old, It was surprisingly way better. I'm gonna pick up another kit maybe tommorrow.:mug: how long should you let it age for best taste? good fun.

I'm new myself, but I've learned that some beers mature early and can be enjoyed a fairly short time after brewing, while others require months (or more) to reach their peak flavor.

My guess is that the age of the beer depends on the complexity of the ingredients, and the ABV.. My theory is, that a LME which has been pre hopped, and brewed using dextrose or other simple ingredients, done like a kit, will be ready to drink in about 2 weeks after being bottled, due to the fact that there are no complex sugars to break down, hops to flavour out, harsh alcohol content to mellow etc etc. Somthing like a high IBU, complex all grain brew along the lines of a honey raspberry stout or such, could take months to reach its "optimum" drinking time, because of the fact that you are using many complex ingredients, sugars that are hard to break down and need time to mellow out, flavours need to age etc etc.

However, ALL beers, no matter how simple or complex, will benefit with age. My first brew was a straight LME can of pilsner with half a kilo of dextrose, when I bottled it, it smelled and tasted like eggs... but it was my first brew and I was determined not to turf it. Its been about a month now and it actually is not too bad of a beer. Its got no bitterness, the egg has pretty much gone completely (unless you burp) and its mellowed out OK. I am still dissapointed with the result, but hey, from what it was like coming out of primary, it has DEFINATLEY improved with age.

I have learned from everyone here that you slowly drink your beers, and as you finish that last one off a month later, you sit back and go "damn, I really wish I had another 6 pack left, those 3 months really made this brew taste great"

I suggest if you are kegging, that with left over beer, you bottle yourself a 6 pack (not a real hassle, just sit the bottles in the keg full of steriliser etc) and dont drink those till that keg is empty! because then you pull that last beer of the keg and say "damn, that 3 months really made this brew taste great, I'm glad I still have a 6 pack kicking around"

Thats my opinion, correct me if I am wrong (pretty new to this whole homebrew scene, considering I only have 3 brews under my belt) but hey, thats what my experience has been so far!

:mug:

Back