Christmas Beer - Possibly red in color?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snevey

Reaction score
I'm looking to start a Christmas beer (probably a little late) for the Holiday season. I would like to try to make something a hue of red. If anyone is familiar with Mad Elf by Troegs in Harrisburg, PA, this is a good example of what I'm looking to make.

http://www.troegs.com/our_brews/mad_elf_ale.aspx

They have the base malts on their site, but of course not a breakdown of how much of each. Any one know of a recipe that foots the bill? It doesn't need to be 11% APV either, something around 6% would be just fine. ;)

I may or may not work at Troegs...

You'll need to use cherries to get the red color. It's really hard to attain a color that red without the fruit. That recipe posted above looks pretty solid.

Or use red food coloring like they do with Killian's.

Thanks all... I made a Cherry Wit for a family picnic and the cherries imparted very little color, but a ton of flavor. I used Oregon brand Red Tart Cherries in Water. I used TART cherries as I didn't want my beer to taste like Sam Adaams abomination of a Cherry Wheat beer. What would give it that color? Real cherries or a cherry juice concentrate?

Back