5500 watt ripp element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pp270

Reaction score
For those of you that use a 5500w ripp element. What is the max amps this will draw at full load? I have read 23. Also what is the length of just the element part? I have a 10 gal pot with a 14" id. I would like to mount or hang the element horizontally. Is this possible? If not is there another 5500w low density element out there that maybe has 4 loops reducing its length?

:mug:

You could go with a smaller element or a bigger pot. 5500W may be overkill for a 10 gallon pot. I'd opt for a bigger pot, though. 15 gallon size will 5 or 10 gallon batches.

23A is right, 14" ID will accomodate the RIPP 5500W element, pretty tight fit though.

To the op, it sounds like you might be considering using this w/a heatstick "I would like to mount or hang the element horizontally" You will have to mount it permanently through the pot to make it fit.

Drill a 1.25" hole in your kettle, shove the element through that hole and use a SS lock nut or a SS coupler (1") to tighten from the inside. Boom, done. Cheap and easy, looks nice too. Here are mine in my kettle. Total cost for materials (nuts) $16 for (2) If you use 1" couplings, try $6 for (2)!

P1030671.JPG

Might someone measure the length of just the element of the 5500 rip and post it.

Thanks, :mug:

Back